Hi from Sydney, Australia.

kamaryn

Hi from Sydney, Australia.

Post by kamaryn » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:43 am

Hi everyone,
My name is Cameron and I'm from Penrith, Western Sydney, Australia.

I am an amateur guitarist who took up playing during high school. I initially played bass guitar as part of a rock band in the late 90s/early 00s (High school delusions of fame and grandeur). My only exposure to bass at the time was very simplistic, popular music (youtube was not really a thing then) and so I had no complicated pieces to listen to and learn and thus quickly became bored. When I took up music during the final 2 years of high school, I moved towards playing classical guitar pieces as this would allow me to play something technical. I ended up playing several simpler classical pieces (e.g. Canon in d) and pop songs like "Tears in heaven". I was self-taught (we were too poor for lessons at the time), however my best friend at the time was a talented guitarist who had taken lessons for many years and so I received some help from him.

For the next few years, I played guitar and bass at my local church but ceased playing after a while. Sadly, I have not picked up the guitar much in the past 10 years. I occasionally get a strong desire to learn gentle, melodic songs (I lack the technical vernacular to describe what I mean) such as Cavatina by John Williams or Gabriel's Oboe (Ennio Morricone) or simply end up learning guitar versions of songs from video game I have played (e.g. To Zanarkand or Suteki Da Ne from Final Fantasy 10). Usually, I play the song fairly relentlessly for a week or so until I mostly have it - then time just moves on and a day of not playing becomes a week becomes a year...

The church that I live next to hosts a classical guitar club every fortnight and I have let them in several times (I have the keys). Having just walked in on them packing up about an hour ago, I was convicted that it was time to start playing again. My sincere hope is that it does not just become another phase, although I sadly imagine I will play in irregular intervals and thus never become more than an amateur with a few goods songs in my repertoire. Either way, I am thankful for the community and will greatly appreciate whatever I can learn from you all.

George Crocket

Re: Hi from Sydney, Australia.

Post by George Crocket » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:39 am

Hi Cameron. Welcome to the forum. There's nothing wrong with being an amateur, you know. :chitarrista:

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules. Once you have posted a second message you will be able to access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

Enjoy your visits.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:06 pm

Hi Cameron

Welcome to the forum.

Regards
Peter (NW Sydney)

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:48 pm

Hi Cameron,

It's nice to have you on board.

You mention that a classical guitar club meets once a fortnight next door to where you live. I'm wondering if you might be able to join their club as this may help keep you motivated and also expose you to lots of new material. Just a thought?

Cheers,
Paul (Melbourne)

Return to “Introduce yourself”