Hello from Montréal

chocolate

Hello from Montréal

Post by chocolate » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:37 pm

Hello Guitar people,
My name is Monique - I chose "chocolate" as a code name since, besides guitar music, it is one of my favorite things! I was born and raised in Switzerland (hence the chocolate thing I guess), and started learning classical guitar, by sheer fluke, at age13 (wanted to play like Elvis Presley, go figure, and thought I needed to play the guitar like him). Long story short: I distributed magazines for one year, rain or shine, saved all my money, went to the nearest town, and into the first music store I saw...and this is where it all started, the owner was at the cash, I told him I wanted a guitar just like Elvis Presley's, he answered he might just have what I needed, went in the back of the store and came back with an all wood, classical guitar (I didn't know what a classical guitar was, or how it sounded for that matter), and informed me that Elvis Presley had one just like it when he started, I emptied the paper bag with my change on the counter, and asked it that was enough (I was 12 then) ....he started counting the change, then stopped, said, that is just enough to buy this guitar - retrospectively, of course it wasn't by any means! I then asked if he knew where I could learn to play like E.P., he had just the right person, made a phone call, gave me the address to go to, and I met my first guitar teacher, she had a long blond pony tail, her nails I noted were very short on one hand, and quite long on the other...and she gave me music notes to learn, and right hand exercises. Oops, I did say long story short, sorry about that...but after a month of guitar lessons (lots of scales and exercises, and finally a small very pretty piece) I had forgotten all about Elvis Presley, and fallen in love with classical guitar...Now, I have a 30 old Aria (still made in Japan, cedar top, all wood, not a scratch, beautiful actually), and a spruce top Loriente Marieta which is now my favorite playing guitar...she had a soul, if you see what I mean...the guitar accompanied me all my life (played on and off...now it's on again, and for life I think :) Currently working on Bach (prélude en ré mineur), Barrios Saudade, Tarregas Endecha and Oremus, Villa-Lobos Etudes... Oh yeah, French is my mother tongue, and I am fluent in both French and English....voilà...not sure this is what you guys wanted for an introduction....hope I wasn't too long here :bye:

George Crocket

Re: Hello from Montréal

Post by George Crocket » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:18 am

Hello Monique. Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the charming introduction. Your initiative in beginning to learn guitar is admirable.

Please start by having a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules. Once you have posted a second message you will be able to access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here). You have probably noticed that we have a French language forum also. You can access that through the link above, but you need an additional membership there to become a user.

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

See you around.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:28 pm

Welcome, Chocolate.
What a perfect and sweet introduction! Made my day :D

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:10 pm

I loved the story of how Elvis Presley led you to the classical guitar. Just marvelous.
Yamaha GC42S

rguitar

Post by rguitar » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:19 am

Hi Monique,

That's a great story. I used to live in Montreal and it's a great city for classical guitarists. Wish I was there now!

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:26 am

Hello and welcome to the forum Monique! You'll love it here!

StGeorge

Post by StGeorge » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:40 am

Hello Chocolate, and welcome to he forum. 8)
StGeorge, Slayer of Dragons.

Den
Location: East of Toronto, Ontario, Canada (plenty of raccoons, skunks, coyotes, foxes and beavers)

Post by Den » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:51 pm

Bonjour Monique, et bienvenue au sein de ce forum très instructif.

Return to “Introduce yourself”