Warm hello from sunny Singapore

Kalidor

Warm hello from sunny Singapore

Post by Kalidor » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:45 am

Hi everyone, I'm from the Garden City, otherwise known as hot and humid Singapore. :lol:

I started taking guitar lessons when I was 9. It was really painful for the fingers at the start. I had lessons till I was 16, 17..... if memory serves me right.

I was fortunate enough to have been taught by one of the best classical guitar teachers here in Singapore, Ernest Kwok........
Ernest, if you're on these forums.... hello and a BIG thank you for your patience and guidance! :merci:

I think I've had a pretty good start learning the fundamentals. From 19 till now, I've not played much at all. In fact, I haven't really picked up a guitar to play seriously for the past 12 years. Fingers have gone stiff and soft and refuse to bend and shape as they should. :x

Much as the techniques learnt in playing classical pieces have helped with improving my playing, the real joy is really in playing contemporary pop songs from the 70s and 80s that have been arranged for solo guitar (Yes, I suppose that must sound kind of blasphemous on this forum! :mrgreen: ). Pity that I can't seem to find those pieces around.

I've been lurking on these forums for awhile and the Yamaha GC threads have piqued my interest in getting one.... any help or information on them would be most helpful!

Hoping to learn more on this forum and to recover some lost passion and skills in playing the classical guitar.

A. Ng
Last edited by Kalidor on Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

George Crocket

Re: Warm hello from sunny Singapore

Post by George Crocket » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:36 am

Hello Kalidor. Welcome to Delcamp. I am sure there are many discussions here to interest you.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules. Since you have already posted two messages you can access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

See you around.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Kalidor

Post by Kalidor » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:39 am

Thank you George!

robb

Post by robb » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:53 pm

Hi Ng,

I'm from Singapore too. Those pop arrangements are still available. Send me a PM.

Pill

Post by Pill » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:57 pm

welcome, Kalidor. the classical guitar is such a beautiful instrument. I have heard classical music and the music you mentioned played this way. It all sounds great. Best of luck to you. Pill

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:55 pm

Welcome Ng to the forum! You are lucky to learn from Ernest! He is a good teacher and player , unfortunately I did not get a chance to learn with him.

chelson

Post by chelson » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:39 pm

Tom wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:55 pm
Welcome Ng to the forum! You are lucky to learn from Ernest! He is a good teacher and player , unfortunately I did not get a chance to learn with him.
Not sure if he read this forum, go find him. I'm seeing him around every Saturday morning when sending my son to the music school. Just that it's weird to walk up to him and say, "Hi, I'm from Delcamp!"
Without heart and desire, talent is nothing.

Kalidor

Post by Kalidor » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:14 pm

Thanks for all the warm welcome everyone!

Just wondering if Ernest is still at Yamaha Plaza Singapura?

chelson

Post by chelson » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:37 pm

Kalidor wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:14 pm
Thanks for all the warm welcome everyone!

Just wondering if Ernest is still at Yamaha Plaza Singapura?
Yes!

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:37 pm

PM me if you need Ernest Kwok's contact.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:46 am

chelson wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:39 pm
Tom wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:55 pm
Not sure if he read this forum, go find him. I'm seeing him around every Saturday morning when sending my son to the music school. Just that it's weird to walk up to him and say, "Hi, I'm from Delcamp!"
Thank you Chelson for your offer... I know Ernest in person for more than 2 decades just never got a chance to learn from him for many reasons.

I have both his phone and email contact.

Kalidor

Post by Kalidor » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:31 am

HNLim wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:37 pm
Thanks Lim.... but I think I'll go see him in person.

I haven't seen him in more than 20 years and the last time I saw him, I was still in my teens. :shock:

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:08 am

Hello Kalidor and welcome to the forum! See you around on the forum!

chelson

Post by chelson » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:45 pm

Kalidor wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:31 am
HNLim wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:37 pm
Thanks Lim.... but I think I'll go see him in person.

I haven't seen him in more than 20 years and the last time I saw him, I was still in my teens. :shock:
Yes, go find him personally, if you know him. Else, it's extremely weird to take other's contact offer over a forum and start calling. In today's context, when I receive this kind of incomings, generally I will treat them as scrams. A friend not in contact for more than 20 years may still sound like a total stranger until I recall.

For me, I still no 缘 with him yet. Hahaha!

Return to “Introduce yourself”