G'day From Australia North Queensland

Alan Hamley
Amateur luthier

G'day From Australia North Queensland

Post by Alan Hamley » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:36 am

Hello to everyone my name is Alan.

I have been making music for over 40 years as a musician, working in a retail outlet to a music teacher the past eight years until I retired at 65 years old September last year. Although I have had several different occupations over the years, a resource management University degree music has been my life.

My early years until I was 35 years old where spent living and working on a farm. I have a big love for animals and nature. During my time working on the farm it seemed as though I had not learnt much so I decided to go to study at 35 years of age. Best thing I ever did for myself where I gained many skills along with my farming experiences. I didn't realise at he time that many of my farm life skills where so valuable. On the farm you need to be a lateral thinker as you are a mechanic, problem solver, accountant, vet, strategic planner, machinery operator, plumber, electrician and so on. Because where the farm is located you are so isolated you can't call in an expert so you fix it yourself. My experience working with wood was picking up a length of 4" x 2" timber to build or fix something and getting a hand full of splinters because the wood had been left out in the weather for years. Most times the welder was my best friend but at that time I had to use that dreaded wood.

Well that all changed in 2004 when I decided I wanted to try and build a guitar. So I researched the internet on guitar building for two years and gathered up my information. The first two instruments where weissenborn copies, one built using some poor wood as a guinea pig and the other using some very nice Tasmanian Blackwood. The Blackwood guitar turned out a beauty and I'm hooked. I have twenty acoustic builds under the belt now, many ukulele's and a few electric guitars. Recently I started looking for information on a classical build using a solera and kept coming across this forum and some very good hints and information so I decided to join.

I have played guitar since an early age, learnt to read music, still do and I like all styles of music. What got me into classical music was some guy playing an Antonio De Torres FE17 guitar and I thought is was the closest thing I have ever heard to pure acoustic guitar tone. So I want to build one! I have a nice wood stash with several species of spruce, rosewood and Australian timbers for stringed instrument building.

My website is hamleyfineguitars.com if you would like to see some of my work.

I look forward to learning from many of you.

Cheers

Alan

Erik Zurcher

Re: G'day From Australia North Queensland

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:20 am

Hello Alan and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
- To add your website, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and type the URL, into the field next to "Website:" (a web icon will appear under the contact balloon).
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Alan Hamley
Amateur luthier

Post by Alan Hamley » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:35 am

Thanks Erik for the welcome.
I have entered my location in my profile as you suggested.
Make sense as I am located way down south from The Hague.
Cheer for now
Alan

Alan Hamley
Amateur luthier

Post by Alan Hamley » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:39 am

Hello to you all again,

Not sure if I post here as I have a few questions regard building my first Antonio De Torres classical guitar copy.
I have chosen this guitar as I like the physical size of the FE17 as it is much like a concert size guitar. I have a Lyon & Healy built it 1925 that was a restoration project for me which took some considerable care and time to re-top the guitar. Its history was it had been stored for many years without strings and a rodent had made themselves a home in the body of the guitar. The animal must have been bored as it chewed two chunks out of the side of the sound hole and had a field day inside feasting on the braces. It has a wide flat fingerboard and it looks like being a close to the feel of a Torres FE17. I have small hands so I thought a 50 mm nut width would be ideal comfort wise for me and maybe a 640 mm scale length.

I would appreciate any members building a similar guitar who would have some suggestions and thoughts for me?

Cheers

Alan

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:57 pm

Hi Alan,

Let me extend a belated welcome to you. I hope you find this forum as informative and entertaining as I do.

I've never travelled quite as far north as Townsville. The furthest I've made it was to the Sunshine coast about 20 years ago. I do hope to make it to Townsville one day (although I don't know how I will cope with the humidity).

All the best,
Paul (Melbourne)

Alan Hamley
Amateur luthier

Post by Alan Hamley » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:26 am

G'day Paul,
Thanks for the welcome. Well if your up this way look me up please?
Have you ever played a Torres classical? I' still researching as there are a few models and I'm not sure which one will suit me.
I firstly want a responsive guitar and the concert size appeals to me as well as a short scale and 50 mm nut to suit my small hands.
Anyway, I'm retired, have plenty of time to check out a few builds and plans and make a decision.
Cheers for now
Alan

showtell

Post by showtell » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:34 pm

Hi Alan,
This is a great forum and I'm sure you'll get all the information you need.
Kim Strode
Daylesford, Victoria Australia

Alan Hamley
Amateur luthier

Post by Alan Hamley » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:15 am

Hi Kim,
Lets see what we can learn here mate!
Welcome!
Cheers
Alan

Return to “Introduce yourself”