Hello and greetings from Istanbul

tosunpasa

Hello and greetings from Istanbul

Post by tosunpasa » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:52 pm

Hello all,
Im a student living in Istanbul, just recently (10 days ago) got my first guitar and started learning. I've always been an avid listener of classical music, since the high school, i think i can list my favorite composers as: F. Chopin, Debussy, Rimsky- Korsakov, Tarrega and of course countless other greats. I've took piano lessons as a child but dont really remember anything, from time to time i try to play the electronic keyboard though. before taking up the guitar I've researched a lot about classical guitar and its style, arrangements, composers etc. I really love the baroque era and its music, lute is such a great instrument,i can safely say that guitar is a little bit better. Richness and the warm color of guitar's tone, the quite big (and evergrowing) arrangements of the classical works that i love, and the fact that i had some experience with Turkish lute for some time, got me into the classical guitar scene. Right now I'm learning thru guitartricks site, its been helpful. I'm currently studying Fur Elise, a simple harmonic arrangement. I think I like where this is going. I've started to practice 3-4 hours a day, to really make progress. My ultimate goals are: to be able to play any arrangement of classical piano work I want, Chopin is my favorite; to be able to play baroque and renassaince repertoire, to be able to switch to gypsy jazz maybe in distant future. And finally, to be able to arrange the great classical Ottoman music (which has a diverse and rich repertoire, that is fruitful for baroque style arrangements). I want to share with you a few examples of this. You probably know microtonal guitar, although im not keen on the instrment, the arrangements of ottoman classics are really encouraging. rast makam (mod) overlaps with major tones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InZjNlk7DaI&t=0s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xqy9txCmKU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1CJLHkEydE

oski79

Re: Hello and greetings from Istanbul

Post by oski79 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:03 pm

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

It is important to note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

tosunpasa

Post by tosunpasa » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:10 pm

Thank you and I aprreciate the fact that this site avoids the meaningless discussions and headaches. Great source!

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:40 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum!

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:48 am

Welcome! If you are not yet familiar with them, find Martin Taylor's recent tutorials and sites for jazz and Gypsy Jazz. You will be glad you did.

tosunpasa

Post by tosunpasa » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:49 pm

CathyCate wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:48 am
Welcome! If you are not yet familiar with them, find Martin Taylor's recent tutorials and sites for jazz and Gypsy Jazz. You will be glad you did.
Ive watched his gypsy jazz video the 30 minute long one. I really love gypsy guitar but for a long time I will hold learning it, I'm trying to learn classical first and primarily. I dont know if there is a shared ground between these styles, but in long future i might attempt at gypsy.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:22 pm

tosunpasa wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:10 pm
Thank you and I aprreciate the fact that this site avoids the meaningless discussions and headaches. Great source!
Belated welcome from me too; though I fear occasionally we get tied up in meaninglessness and banging our heads against brick walls, it is however a much better environment than most.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Return to “Introduce yourself”