Greetings to all from California's capital!

DPMarshall3d

Greetings to all from California's capital!

Post by DPMarshall3d » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:13 am

Just checking in to introduce myself as a new member.

Classical guitar was my first introduction to guitar playing, and (all thanks to mom) I was but 11 years old when I started and had to be driven everywhere, to lessons .. and even to practice regularly at home. I persevered for about five years, studying with the great Basil Gural in Louisville (KY), but I had already veered to the rock side, so in high school I played in a band for several years (The Oxfords).

Moving to California for college, I went to UC Berkeley and afterwards played lead guitar in a Bay Area country band. But while in the band, I kept not only my day job but also a classical guitar ever close by.

Fast forward many years, and after years of working primarily that day job but always playing electric and acoustic guitars (for myself, primarily), I have again turned to the classical guitar and find myself not only studying and playing but listening to many of the great players, old and young, and to the wonderful classical repertoire, again, old and young.

Part of playing for me now is keeping current with the form, so I'm very happy to be here with you on this excellent forum. Hope to speak with you soon!

oski79

Re: Greetings to all from California's capital!

Post by oski79 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:21 am

Welcome to Delcamp!

and... GO BEARS!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

It is important to note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:54 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum!

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am

Welcome along. Sorry, no idea what the capital of california is. :-)

igycrctl

Post by igycrctl » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:38 pm

simonm wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am
Welcome along. Sorry, no idea what the capital of california is. :-)
It's Los Angeles. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking it is Sacramento.

Return to “Introduce yourself”