Kia ora from New Zealand

markw54

Kia ora from New Zealand

Post by markw54 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:19 am

Hello everyone

My name's Mark. I've just picked up classical guitar, almost accidentally really. When my kids were small I had all those common first parent ideas about playing together as a family and so thought I would learn the guitar - my uncle was kind enough to give me a steel string learner instrument, which then sat in the cupboard for about six years.

When my oldest daughter started to learn the piano the music school mentioned how great it is to have a parent and child learning at the same time. So I thought 'time to learn the guitar'. The guitar teacher happened to be classically trained and prefer teaching classical and it quickly turned out that classical guitar is the style of music I like - so classical it is. It is really wonderful have a lesson at the same time as my daughter and to be both discovering our instruments together :D Now my younger daughter has decided to pick up the guitar as well, so some of the enthusiasm must be infectious.

I've been playing for about three months now and have just bought myself a Cordoba C10 to learn with. I've discovered a real love for the range, flexibility and sound of the the guitar.

How long have you played? What is your experience? How old (young) were you when you started? Or did you just start last week?

I'm three months in, and have very little experience. As a child I learned piano for a couple of years and classical guitar for one. I don't seem to remember any of my early classical guitar experience. I don't really recall why but my childhood guitar learning experience turned me off the instrument but I didn't pick up a stringed instrument from around aged 11 to age 40.

Do you take lessons? Or are you self-taught? Are you a teacher of Classical Guitar?
I have lessons, which is great. I suspect that without the discipline of lessons that I pay for it would be too easy to allow the business of lift to get in the way of practice.

We are working through the free method book from thisisclassicalguitar.com. What a great resource and a fantastic way to learn the instrument. The small pieces at the beginning of the book give a great sense of accomplishment and can sound really lovely despite my general lack of ability.

Can't wait to keep learning more and more. I'm a very very long way from being able to make the instrument sound nice and play the longer more complex pieces that I'm interested in.

My goals for the next six months are:
- learn to play the instrument so that it makes nice sounds, as opposed to the clumsy clipped sounds that come out now :D Loootttts of technique work is ahead of me.
- accompany my kids at their end of year concert (I'm think we will play silent night all together but welcome suggestions for simple pieces for guitar and piano)
- be able to play three or four pieces that the wider family might enjoy when we are all together at christmas time.

Nice to meet you all.

oski79

Re: Kia ora from New Zealand

Post by oski79 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:20 am

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

It is important to note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

markw54

Post by markw54 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:56 am

Thanks oski79, much appreciated.

Mark

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:51 pm

Hello Mark, welcome to the forum!

Return to “Introduce yourself”