Hello from London

chrisW3

Hello from London

Post by chrisW3 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:28 am

Hi All

I am just getting back into playing classical guitar after a gap of around 15 years. I first started playing guitar when I was around 14 having learnt the piano beforehand. I was taught for a few years, did grade 8 classical guitar, and studied music at university for a while.

I like to play a mixture of music baroque, classical and romantic, Spanish etc.

My guitar which I have had for about 20 years now is an Amalio Burguet 'Estudio' model. I once owned a Casimiro Lozano guitar which was on a completely different level but unfortunately that got sold. The Burguet has a perfectly decent sound but unfortunately the neck is warped (I took it to a reputable classical guitar dealer for an opinion on the action) and although it can be played the action is too high especially higher up the neck.

I'll probably carry on with the Burguet for a while, but am doing research into a potential replacement at the moment.

Looking forward to contributing the forum and benefiting from the knowledge and experience of the members.

Erik Zurcher

Re: Hello from London

Post by Erik Zurcher » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:31 am

Hello ChrisW3 and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:07 am

Welcome to Delcamp!

Might be worth taking your Burguet to a luthier for a second opinion. If the warp isn't too bad, and is stable, it might be possible to fix it by removing the frets and re-planing the fingerboard, or even capping the fingerboard.

Enjoy the forum.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

chrisW3

Post by chrisW3 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:15 am

Thanks James, I was advised that the fingerboard itself was already quite thick and therefore it shouldn't be 'built up' in order to raise it higher. I'm happy to take it to a luthier for a second opinion though - any recommendations in or around London?

Return to “Introduce yourself”