Introduction!

Johnmangingly

Introduction!

Post by Johnmangingly » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:26 pm

Greetings fellow musicians and music lovers! I'm from the great state of Washington. I have been playing music for about 12 years now. Primarily steel string acoustic guitar and banjo, but I've also fooled around a bit with various other folk instruments. Yesterday I bought my first nylon string guitar. I went for something somewhat low end (Córdoba C5) since I am just in the beginning stages of this type of guitar playing. The story is as old as time. I played it in the guitar shop and thought it sounded great and that it would be the right fit for a starter. Then I get home and play on it for an hour or so and that's when I noticed something odd. I'm getting this kind of chorus effect sound on the wound strings when I fret them. It goes away when I play them closer to the fret bars, but that's not exactly a fix. I know that nylon strings obviously have a different sound than a steel string guitar but this is definitely not the desired sound. It really cuts through the rest of the notes in the chords I'm playing and kind of washes out a bit. I am hoping someone here may be able to help me troubleshoot this problem so I can start my guitar playing off right and not feel as discouraged! I'm looking forward to using this forum often during the course of my playing. Thanks for having me and hopefully someone can point my ship in the right direction!

-Jack

Erik Zurcher

Re: Introduction!

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:39 pm

Hello Jack and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:57 pm

Welcome Jack. Where in Washington?

Need more info on the "chorus" effect. To you mean buzzing a bit? You do need to "slave" and place your fingers close to the frets especially on the first few positions to get clean sound sometimes. I also get a sort of buzz with newer strings until they break in a bit.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Johnmangingly

Post by Johnmangingly » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:07 pm

Hey Rick thanks for the reply! I am in Skagit County. I see you're a fellow Washingtonian also. Very cool! So the chorus sound I spoke of is almost a harmonic warble if that makes sense. Perhaps it is that I need to be more precise with my finger placement. I only seem to notice it when I'm picking out the individual notes on the wound strings. If I'm strumming it's not there. Kind of odd. It's definitely not a fret buzz. I'm pretty familiar with those. The note rings out and has sustain, it just sounds funky. Perhaps I can make a recording of it. I'm also wondering if it's just a new/old string issue. I'm not sure when it was strung at the shop last. Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Jack

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:12 am

Hello Jack and welcome to the forum!

Return to “Introduce yourself”