Hello from San Diego

Banjoworm

Hello from San Diego

Post by Banjoworm » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:02 am

Amateur classical player since '73. Own 3 classical guitars (Oberg, Cervantas Romanillos, Alvarez) and a flamenco (Vicente Carrillo). Studied for a couple of years under Juan Mercadal at the University of Miami in the late 70s. Graduated with a degree in Music Engineering, then went to Los Angeles to work as a recording engineer at Kendun Recorders in Burbank. I worked in that capacity at Kendun and directly with artists in Miami for about 3 years. Artists/producers included Frank Zappa, Quincy Jones (Brothers Johnson), Demis Roussos, John Denver, and Karen Carpenter. Also met or at least brush shoulders with a lot of famous LA artists and session musicians like David Foster, Leland Sklar, Glen Cambell. Then quit that business, went back to school, completed a BSEE degree, and went to work as a digital systems design engineer. Just retired this year and dedicating more time to my favorite past time. Just installed an LR Baggs Lyric mic into my Flamenco and trying to become a Brazilian jazz guitarist. Never too old to have a dream.

oski79

Re: Hello from San Diego

Post by oski79 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:50 am

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

It is important to note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

wchymeus

Post by wchymeus » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:48 am

Welcome!
Say hi to Peter Oberg - has he retired from building?
You're in good company in SD - lots of talented guitar players...
Field 2014, Oberg 2013, Vincente Sachis Badia 1977

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:12 am

Welcome and dream on!

Banjoworm

Post by Banjoworm » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:28 pm

Thank you for the welcomes!
Regarding Peter, don't know what the explanation is for his apparent inactivity in recent years, nor do I even know if his web site is an accurate information source in that regard. I have wanted to send him a message to find out but feared it might not be a pleasant topic. But really don't know. I imagine it must be really though trying to achieve business success as a luthier. My impression of Peter was of a highly skilled, knowledgeable, dedicated, and professional maker.
Yes, San Diego is a home to many fine players, and of course the Romeros locating here has been a big factor. I met Peter when the GFA held it's conference and competition in La Jolla years ago, and of course the Romeros were a big part of it. It was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. Wish it could happen again.

Return to “Introduce yourself”