Guitar Rescuer

Motorcity

Guitar Rescuer

Post by Motorcity » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:20 pm

Hi! I'm a great admirer of the musicians and collectors here, and while I don't play myself, one of my hobbies is to rehabilitate guitars I find in odd places. My current find is a little Terada parlor guitar that looks like it will make a nice gift when I get it strung (found it missing the high E).

This guitar has plenty of identifiable markings. The label on this LD 165 is in good shape and is signed by M.Terada (son of the founder, I believe). The serial number is "071172" (which seems to indicate a birthdate of July 11, 1972. Inside, I can also see the stamping of "Terada & CO." under which is "Nagoya" and under that "Made in Japan". The guitar itself looks to be largely original with typical Terada tuners and it has no pick guard (or evidence of one). If it is, indeed, 45 years old it's in very nice shape with very few scratches. Sides and back appear to be mahogany, but I'm certainly not an expert (though I know lots of Japanese guitars of that era utilized different materials, including laminates).

To complete the story, I'm eager to know if anyone can add to this guitar's provenance. It looks to be a delightful player and I am eager to defer to the knowledge of those on this site! Thanks! --Motorcity

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Guitar Rescuer

Post by GeoffB » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:07 pm

Hi Motorcity,

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you in our Luthiers section. By the way, if you don't get any reponse below on your Terada question, you could try asking on our long-running Terada fan club thread here .

Meanwhile please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started on the forum, including links to the rules and helpfiles. Just ask if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Return to “Introduce yourself”