Hello from West Chester, PA

RicardoMarcos

Hello from West Chester, PA

Post by RicardoMarcos » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:16 am

Hi, I have been playing classical guitars since I was 14 years old.
The problem is that I have been playing very infrequently. However I love bossa nova and jazz.
I have four guitars and among them a Takamine TC132SC and a Córdoba C9 that I bought recently and love it.
Before buying the C9 I had been reading a lot of reviews and discussions in this forum and that helped me to make a decision. I was trying to make my mind between the C10 and the C12 but could not find any of them locally. But I found the C9 Spruce at a local Sam Ash store and bought it at once.

Erik Zurcher

Re: Hello from West Chester, PA

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:46 am

Hello Ricardo and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

tom3949

Post by tom3949 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:17 am

Welcome Richard. I am also totally new to the site and to classical guitars. There seems to be a wealth of experience and knowledge here - and I am going to need all the help I can get. Interesting that you have bought a C9 as I am currently looking for something to replace my week old starter guitar, (yes - just over a week is how long I have been playing nylon strings!). I think a C9 is a bit above my current budget, (more C7 territory), but I am in a similar position to what you were in that I can't find any of the guitars I want to try locally. I'm going to have to rely on on-line reviews and comments. I'm sure some of the more 'seasoned' members will be along to welcome you shortly.

RicardoMarcos

Post by RicardoMarcos » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:33 am

Hello Tom, thanks for your message.
From what I've seen, visiting local stores, it seems that they don't want to keep expensive guitars (and I mean $500+) at their showrooms. Although they do keep expensive guitars in their inventories at some central distribution centers, you (in my experience) would have to order one to try it. Of course (here in the US) you can always return it if you're not satisfied, but that does not seem to be attractive. At least not to me.
In my case, to get the C10 and C14, I would have to advance almost $3,000 (taxes included) just to try them out. As the C9 was available (and I was told it had been previously ordered by someone who later decided to buy something else) as soon as I saw it and tried, I started to love it and bought it.
I wish you good luck with your search!

fraim

Post by fraim » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:01 pm

welcome to the site richard, from an expat south philly guy !
as for finding classical guitars & music, teachers etc, don't overlook the classical guitar society on walnut st in philly.

tom3949

Post by tom3949 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:26 pm

RicardoMarcos wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:33 am
Hello Tom, thanks for your message.
From what I've seen, visiting local stores, it seems that they don't want to keep expensive guitars (and I mean $500+) at their showrooms. Although they do keep expensive guitars in their inventories at some central distribution centers, you (in my experience) would have to order one to try it. Of course (here in the US) you can always return it if you're not satisfied, but that does not seem to be attractive. At least not to me.
In my case, to get the C10 and C14, I would have to advance almost $3,000 (taxes included) just to try them out. As the C9 was available (and I was told it had been previously ordered by someone who later decided to buy something else) as soon as I saw it and tried, I started to love it and bought it.
I wish you good luck with your search!
Thanks Richard.

I have just completed an exhaustive post on my quandry, (of gettng a new guitar). It's probably too long so no-one will read it! I am going to have to rely on on-line reviews and feedback I think, as I have no chance of trying the guitars on my shortlist.

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:00 pm

Hi Ricardo. Welcome. Fellow native of West Chester. Not a bad town for CG..
Whatever catastrophe or dynamic equilibrium this will eventually lead to will be a mathematical not a moral phenomenon. - A Fryer

RicardoMarcos

Post by RicardoMarcos » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:40 pm

Hi chiral3, thanks for your welcome message!

Return to “Introduce yourself”