Hello from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

LarryJRD

Hello from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Post by LarryJRD » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:13 pm

I first started playing guitar at age 13 on a rented Stella steel string at MelBay studios in Kirkwood, Missouri. I am now in my late 60s. My first classical guitar song was a Sor waltz, Opus 32 No. 2. Still play it. I again started more seriously playing about a year ago, mostly fingerstyle. I had some instruments repaired, and was directed to the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee. UWM has the only undergrad/graduate program in the world on fingerstyle guitar. As a senior citizen, I am allowed to audit classes at no charge. <GRIN> Found my way to this forum trying to resolve fingernail problems. So...here I am.

oski79

Re: Hello from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Post by oski79 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:24 pm

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

It is important to note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:35 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Jim Imbur
Location: Midway between Lynchburg and Charlottesville Virginia

Post by Jim Imbur » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:26 pm

Welcome! I spent 4 years in Milwaukee at Marquette way back in the late 60's. I remember the city fondly.

Good luck with your UWM program!

Robin

Post by Robin » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:43 pm

Hi LarryJRD,

Glad to meet you on the forum! I'm from the Milwaukee area as well and am familiar with the UWM guitar program and concert series.

Have you hear of the Milwaukee Classical Guitar Society? We have monthly meetings where people can play things they are working on, rehearse in the ensemble and discuss all things classical guitar. We have various events and attend local concerts throughout the year. If you are interested, here is the website: www.milwaukeeclassicalguitarsociety.org. If the fall schedule is not posted, feel free to PM on this forum and I can give you upcoming meeting and event dates!

Hope to meet you!

Robin
(secretary, Milwaukee Classical Guitar Society)
So much music, so little time.

Return to “Introduce yourself”