More English Summer

Phil Lewis
Student of the online lessons

More English Summer

Post by Phil Lewis » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:28 pm

Hi I'm Phil, from Manchester in the UK.

Many years ago I played a lot of guitar, starting on electric. I didn't spend many years (about 4) playing, but did play for many hours (average of six hours a day? Something like that).

When I was at the stage of feeling quite comfortable with Van Halen covers, and able to stretch to the odd Yngwie Malmsteen, someone played some Andres Segovia to me. I'd grown up in a very much working class environment, and had never heard anything on classical guitar other than Cavetina.

I couldn't quite believe that what I was hearing was a single guitarist playing with no overdubs! I spent the next few months figuring out a couple of pieces on my Gibson Les Paul, until I realised I was completely converted. The Gibson went into its case, and I found myself with an Admira Artista, and Frederick Noad Solo Guitar Book 1.

I worked through books 1 and 2 over the course of a year is so (still playing about 6 hours a day thanks to the then state of the local jobs market), and ended up being able to play several of the pieces on the Segovia album I had. I was completely self-taught, and mostly transcribed the Noad pieces to guitar tab, and learnt stuff from record by ear.

Then I decided I really ought to do something about my employment and future prospects.

I stopped playing completely and went back to college (it was free back then). I attacked college with the same level of commitment I'd previously shown to guitar and did quite well.

Ever since, I've been a productive member of society, but a guitarless member. Well, I still have the guitars, they've just been unplayed - for about 25 years.

A few years ago I picked up the Gibson again, that found it too depressing that my skills had almost completely vanished, so it went back in the case.

The old desire to make music has been developing for a few years, and I've indulged in tabla, taiko drumming, harmonium and a brief foray into clarinet.

Six months ago I took up violin properly, with a teacher. It's going well, I'm enjoying it, and progress is steady and quite fast. I'm only sight reading at around grade 1, but I'm playing pieces at around grade 4. A lot of the old guitar stuff finally came back, it seems.

And that brings me here. Today I dug out the old Admira, with its puncture wound picked up along the way, and bought the Kindle version of Noad book 1 (I gave my old copy of that and book 2 to a friend when he joined the Order of Friars Minor, many years back).

I'm not going to stop violin, at least at the moment, as I'm really enjoying it. But I have a fair amount of time, and I think I can give 30-60 minutes a day to guitar, so I'm going to see where it leads. New strings tomorrow, as these won't stay in tune for more than a minute or two, and I reckon a couple are right on the edge of giving up (they are more than 25 years old!)

I've joined the forum to see what goes on, read your inspiring stories, and maybe one day be able to contribute back!
Admira Artista - with a nasty ding

oski79

Re: More English Summer

Post by oski79 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:51 am

Welcome to Delcamp, Phil!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

It is important to note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:28 am

That's an amazing story you have there Phil! Welcome from rainy down-south 😎
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:53 am

Hi Phil,

Welcome, and thanks for that excellent introduction! I'm sure you're going to feel very much at home here. I look forward to seeing you around.

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

tom3949

Post by tom3949 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:04 pm

Great story Phil. Welcome to the forum.

Return to “Introduce yourself”