Newbie from South Africa

Cephas

Newbie from South Africa

Post by Cephas » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:21 am

Hi, the name's Peter. I'm from Cape Town, South Africa. 35 years old and interested in learning Classical guitar. My late dad was a guitarist(died 2006). I have all his guitars but hate to see it collect dust. Don't have a teacher, and have been trying to be content and learn what i can on my own. I know i will probably never become an expert but i'd be content just to be able to read sheet music and have some skills in playing I'm actually using my Dads old resources that i found in the loft. It's a correspondence course by a Graham Wade complete with cassette tapes. Thus far i have learnt all the notes on the staff and where they are located on the guitar by going through the 1st book of the course. I have tried finding a teacher to perhaps take some lessons but there aint no teachers around here. I would still like to find a teacher to go for some lessons when i can, but hope this forum can help me make good progress until i can find one. Any way, that's all i got to say now. Thanks for having me and please feel free to let me know where i can start on this forum because im gonna be browsing all over the show trying to find what i can start studying on here.

Best Regards,
Peter :merci: :guitare:
If not now, when? And if not with all your might, how?

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Newbie from South Africa

Post by GeoffB » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:35 am

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the forum! As for lessons, having a professional teacher is the ideal way to learn, but until that is possible you should find the online lessons here useful to you (they will be starting up again next month). If you wish to join in and submit recordings for feedback from other students, you can find the conditions for taking part here and further information here. Or, if you prefer, you can just follow the lessons by yourself as an observer without signing up and without any conditions. You will find the lessons here. You can start at whichever level you wish (D01 is the easiest level, then D02, etc). You will have access to the relevant sheet music after your second post on the forum has been approved.

Meanwhile please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started on the forum, including links to the rules and helpfiles. After your second message has been approved, you will have access to all members' scores and recordings plus the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Cephas

Post by Cephas » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:37 am

Hi Geoff, thanks. I'm going through the links now. Thanks for having me.
If not now, when? And if not with all your might, how?

cefyn

Post by cefyn » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:06 pm

Hello Peter,

Welcome to the forum - there is enough material on here to keep you busy for many years. Have fun clicking around!

Cef
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:14 pm

Welcome Peter! Interesting, I didn't know Graham Wade had done such correspondence courses - he's still around, lives in north UK.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Return to “Introduce yourself”