Hi from Sydney Australia

manhhung

Hi from Sydney Australia

Post by manhhung » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:30 pm

Have not played guitar for more than 20 years. Was self taught amateur player. Kids took out my old guitar a few weeks ago. Started playing but forgot everything. Got more time now so decided to play. Lost all previous music. Big bonus is that you can tune guitar in less than a minute with all these apps. Could never do that before. Out of curiosity, looked on internet for new guitar. A decent one seems to cost around 10k! I wonder how long these new 1mm tops will last with freezing winters and burning summers..and with the kids.

Erik Zurcher

Re: Hi from Sydney Australia

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:17 am

Hello manhhung and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:41 pm

Hi Manhhung,

Welcome to forum and also welcome back to the wonderful world of guitar playing.

Whilst it's true that $10k will get you a really nice guitar, I'm not sure that you need to spend anywhere near $10k to a "decent one" as you put. If you are genuinely interested in buying a new guitar, then I would encourage you to consider buying a used guitar. This forum has a sub-forum that lists used guitars for sale which can be found here: viewforum.php?f=3

The guitars that you refer to with 1mm tops are generally guitars that have more modern bracing patterns such as lattice bracing. Whilst these are gaining some popularity, there are still lots of guitars made that use more traditional fan bracing and thicker tops. So if you are worried about durability, at least you know that fan braced instruments are still readily available.

Best regards,

Paul (from Melbourne)

martinardo

Post by martinardo » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:05 pm

G'day Man - and welcome. This is the place for information and advice; almost always friendly !

Concerning your concern about guitar longevity, I would hazard a guess that the Weather would

be many points down the scale compared to the input that kids have the potential to make. Even

allowing for instruments built like brick outhouses. As Paul says there are definitely "decent ones"

in the lower monetary stratosphere. I'm sure you'll find something that will aid in the kickstart

of your musical return. :D
I'm pink therefore I'm Spam

manhhung

Post by manhhung » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:23 pm

Thank you for your advice guys. I noticed a lot of the used instruments here are from overseas. Would I need to pay GST and taxes on top of the prices quoted?

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:24 am

manhhung wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:23 pm
Thank you for your advice guys. I noticed a lot of the used instruments here are from overseas. Would I need to pay GST and taxes on top of the prices quoted?
Yes, if the value of the guitar+freight is over $1000. Duty plus GST is worth 15.5% of the value of guitar+freight, plus you will to pay for customs clearance (unless that is included in the freight charge by your shipper). You may have a quarantine inspection (not common, but not entirely rare either) and if so you have to pay for this as well.

Regards
Peter

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:26 am

P.S. Have a look at the used (mint) Kellaway I have listed on this site. It is a very fine and a very good value instrument.

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:03 pm

Just to add further to Peter's suggestion, my Son's guitar teacher plays a Kellaway and it's a very nice sounding instrument. Dan Kellaway makes beautiful instruments and at the price that Peter has his listed, it's a bargain. If I had the money, i would have snapped it up myself.

manhhung

Post by manhhung » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:50 am

Thanks Peter for your importing information. I looked at the customs website for ages and couldn't work out the costings. Apparently importing stringed instrument that is played with a bow is duty free. I should have asked forum in the first place. Your Kellaway guitar looks interesting. I am having a look on internet about different guitars and may get back to you about that.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:39 am

manhhung wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:50 am
Thanks Peter for your importing information. I looked at the customs website for ages and couldn't work out the costings. Apparently importing stringed instrument that is played with a bow is duty free. I should have asked forum in the first place. Your Kellaway guitar looks interesting. I am having a look on internet about different guitars and may get back to you about that.
Happy to help - I've imported a few! :roll:

KBell

Post by KBell » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:39 am

Welcome to the forum - tonnes of great info and helpful advice to be found here!

Return to “Introduce yourself”