hi fron Québec!

Yvon

hi fron Québec!

Post by Yvon » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:27 pm

Hello
My Name is Yvon Gravel, English is my second language so I'm sorry of all eh mistake I will make, you will see a lot fo them! :D

I've played bass for almost 30 years (weddings, cruise ship etc)
But lately I don't have time to play with a band.
So about 1.5 year ago I took my wife classical guitar (la patrie étude) and start playing a Sor etude (the fabous one in Bmin)

I liked it a lot, so I started taking lessons and I upgraded my guitar to a yamaha GC31 found used for a great price.

I consider my level to be around 4 or 5 on the Delcamp courses.

I'm already a member on the french forum, but I like to read the emglish forum also.
Being a member will make things easier!

Yvon
Yamaha GC-31

oski79

Re: hi fron Québec!

Post by oski79 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:13 pm

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

It is important to note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Tomzooki

Post by Tomzooki » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:41 pm

Bonjour compatriote!
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
Yamaha GC-3A
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

Christopher C.

Post by Christopher C. » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:40 pm

Welcome. I imagine having string bass technique down will help quite a bit in learning guitar.

Yvon

Post by Yvon » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:17 am

Tomzooki wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:41 pm
Bonjour compatriote!
Allo!
Yamaha GC-31

Yvon

Post by Yvon » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:19 am

Christopher C. wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:40 pm
Welcome. I imagine having string bass technique down will help quite a bit in learning guitar.

I guess, but I thought it would help more then that.
They are completly different instrument.
Maybe I learn a little bit faster then someone who never played an instrument before, but they are a lot more different then I thought at first.
Yamaha GC-31

Christopher C.

Post by Christopher C. » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:30 pm

That's true. Technique probably does differ quite a bit even among plucked instruments. At least it provides a good background in theory, which will be useful.

Regardless, I'm sure you'll have a great experience with CG. The nice thing is that so much of the instructional material/exercises for guitar actually sound musical, like in the Sagreras books. That wasn't my experience with other instruments I've played.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:50 am

Welcome from one bass player to another...and from a guitarist as well. Your are right in that they are completely different, whether it is upright bass, electric bass, or guitars. I enjoy classical guitar so much that I haven't been playing my other instruments (mandolins, uke, electric guitar, recorder, harmonica, lap steel) much at all lately. Good luck with your guitar.

Yvon

Post by Yvon » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:14 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:50 am
Welcome from one bass player to another...and from a guitarist as well. Your are right in that they are completely different, whether it is upright bass, electric bass, or guitars. I enjoy classical guitar so much that I haven't been playing my other instruments (mandolins, uke, electric guitar, recorder, harmonica, lap steel) much at all lately. Good luck with your guitar.

I still consider myself a bass player, in the sense that if I had the tome to join a band it would be on bass sure.

But like you I haven't played bass the last 18 months (hard to do with the nails anyway).
I kept only one bass, I sold the other ones.
I check if it's in tune from time to time and that's it.
Yamaha GC-31

Return to “Introduce yourself”