Mike in North Vancouver, BC Canada

Mike Steede

Mike in North Vancouver, BC Canada

Post by Mike Steede » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:40 am

Hi,
I'm Mike Steede, 54 years young - I've played since I was 13 years old. I took a break from playing for 20 years, so I'm very rusty but have begun lessons with a fantastic teacher. The long break was due to my playing partner passing on resulting in my heart not into playing until coming back to me just recently. I'm playing a Yamaha electric classical with a spruce top, through a beautiful 1970's vintage tube amp. It sounds great. I also have a custom guitar on order but sadly the wait list is long and it will be a year until delivery. What else? I like the South American, Latin repertoire (Barrios and so forth) and also the early stuff (Weiss, Dowland, etc.) and of course Bach. Re: my guitar on order - I'm torn between a cedar top or spruce top, possibly a hybrid double-top, but leaning towards cedar. I suspect I'll order the other in due course! Can't have one without the other I'm thinking. I've been playing with different strings lately and quite impressed with a recent set of carbons. That's about it - can't think of anything else right now!
Best to all!

Erik Zurcher

Re: Mike in North Vancouver, BC Canada

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:03 am

Hello Mike and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:13 am

Welcome Mike. Do you attend guitar concerts in Vancouver? If so, perhaps we'll meet up.
Steve

Mike Steede

Post by Mike Steede » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:31 am

Hi Steve,
I just renewed my membership to the Vancouver Classic Guitar Society after many years and have a ticket to see Jeremy Jouve on September 30th. Are you a member? Going to the concert?
Best / M

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:53 pm

MIke,
I am a regular at the concerts and some other events. I plan to make it back in time for JJ's concert... I'm going to be showing guitars at La Guitarra California, so I plan to catch him there too... I'm driving.
Let's make sure we bump into each other there and say hi.
Steve

Mike Steede

Post by Mike Steede » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:13 pm

Sounds good. That's a long drive back and forth, Blaine to CA... I see you're a luthier - I'll look forward to talking guitars with you. See you there!
Best / M

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:23 pm

From Blaine to downtown Vancouver is really less than an hour drive. If one lives in Blaine, one can survive without driving (I often do not open the car door for a few days), but beyond survival, to see friends and get exposure to artistry, one must travel.
:)
Talking guitars is always fun.
Steve

Mike Steede

Post by Mike Steede » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:51 pm

Ah, I meant your upcoming drive to California! I'd like to see your shop someday and you're not far - need to get my passport in order. They're awfully sticky these days, used to just need your driver's license... I haven't been across the line in 10 years. I don't get out much!

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:52 pm

Hi Mike, Steve won't self promote, or take business from another colleague. That's just the way he is. But he may have a shorter waiting list. And he's a great builder. Just sayin.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Mike Steede

Post by Mike Steede » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:16 pm

Hi Rick,

Thanks for that.

Yes, I got that impression. He seems like a very above-board kind of guy. I am looking at ordering a 2nd guitar down the road and would like to see his shop and test drive one or two! Now that the boy is grown and on his own, my finances are easier and I can look forward to becoming a collector of fine instruments. I suspect Steve's are right up there.

Best / M

fraim

Post by fraim » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:42 pm

hi mike...welcome to the board & back to the joys of playing.
i just bought a great guitar from steve...& i'm from dallas, tx! just sayn...

Mike Steede

Post by Mike Steede » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:06 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for the welcome! That's good to hear - the testimonials on Steve's website certainly speak highly of his guitars.

Did you escape the brunt of the hurricane in Dallas? Any flooding in your neck of the woods? We were all watching here in Vancouver on tip-toes. Hearts really went out to you and your fellow Texans, and now Irma - ye gods. I think one official said of the Caribbean islands it was like a lawnmower ploughed over.

Best / M

Return to “Introduce yourself”