Hello from Brooklyn

A.Arcese

Hello from Brooklyn

Post by A.Arcese » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:53 pm

The obligatory introduction:

I'm a pianist. I studied classical guitar for a couple of years in junior high school and have decided I'd like to find my way back into it. I've begun using Simon Powis's website www.classicalguitarcorner.com as a learning resource. I'm especially interested in establishing a good technical foundation. I believe I have quite a few technical gaps to address.

Although I'm using primarily a Cordoba C12 for relearning, my real fascination is for smaller romantic guitars and "parlor" guitars. I simply love the way they sound. My goal is to make enough progress to feel I've earned one of those instruments and can do some justice to it. Although the attraction to nineteenth- and early twentieth-century instruments is not new for me, having some minor restoration work done on my husband's grandmother's century-old lute-guitar has helped revive it and make the possibility more tangible, as that instrument has a sweet tone and a somewhat "plunky" sound with limited sustain, and I find it to be romantic in character. That sort of sound and scale feel more appropriate for me somehow than the contemporary classical guitar.

I work as an editor, mainly of books, with subject specialties including music, architecture, and French language. I'm studying information design and user experience, as well.

Nice to meet you! :)

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Hello from Brooklyn

Post by GeoffB » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:18 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum! Please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started, including links to the rules and helpfiles. After your second message has been approved, you will have access to all members' scores and recordings plus the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Return to “Introduce yourself”