Hello from London.

Kiltie

Hello from London.

Post by Kiltie » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:12 am

I have been learning the classical guitar for about a year having first started on a steel stringed guitar.I have a teacher but would welcome advice on the balance to be struck between learning technique through exercises,repetition etc and learning technique through learning and practising songs etc.I am learning for my own enjoyment rather than for exams.Do you think, also, learning for exams provides structure and discipline rather than perhaps unfocussed study?

Erik Zurcher

Re: Hello from London.

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:54 am

Hello Kiltie and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:15 am

Hi Kiltie. Welcome to the forum.

It's great that you have a teacher. Progress is likely to be faster and learning more efficient with the help of a good teacher.

As far as the best way to learn is concerned, as in most things in life, balance is the best way. Scales and technical exercises certainly help to build and consolidate technique. But they can be a bit soul destroying. So playing appropriate musical pieces is useful for motivation. The pieces should be geared to illustrating some of the techniques being worked on through exercises. Repetition, of course, is the basis of learning it all, and is pretty much indispensable.

Some people like exams given that they are linked to a more or less fixed curriculum, and they are designed to make steady progress. They discourage students from biting off more than they can chew - trying to learn difficult pieces which are beyond the current competence of the player is often counter-productive. But others prefer the motivation provided to them by tackling appealing aspects of guitar when they wish.

You need to decide for yourself which approaches you prefer. Perhaps a frank discussion with your teacher would help?
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Pill

Post by Pill » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:39 pm

Kiltie. welcome. I also am new to CG. I try to work on technique each day, rh studies, scales, chords etc. Then I work on a piece and some studies. I find that as my technique gets better my ability to play and learn pieces improves. so, in my case at least, technique then pieces works best. All the best to you, Pill

Kiltie

Post by Kiltie » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:44 am

Thank you for your replies.I guess, like most things in life, it is about balance, boring though it may seem.

Kiltie

Post by Kiltie » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:06 am

As a novice I have found it absolutely fascinating the wide spectrum of subjects and diversity of opinions published on this website.It is both stimulating and bewildering but never boring.

Return to “Introduce yourself”