Hello from Cologne, Germany

lilikati

Hello from Cologne, Germany

Post by lilikati » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:58 pm

As a new member of this forum, I'd like to say hello and introduce myself.

I am a retired music teacher born in 1950 and have played the guitar (classical music, jazz, world, rock, pop) since I was 15. Over the last years, I have not played much. When I started playing classical music in about 1974, my heroes were John Williams, Andrès Segovia and Julian Bream because of their different styles and approaches. When I studied to become a teacher of music, classical guitar was my main instrument, but I never made it up to a stage that enabled me to play concerts. This was never my aim. Later on, I played Elizabethan music (I love John Dowland) on a lute built by Jacob van de Geest.
In my 30 years of teaching the piano of course was the "standard tool", so the guitar kind of moved into the background. I still used it for song comping, mostly pop and folk music, but I couldn't keep up my routine of practising.
Over the last five years, I have been playing the tenor saxophone, mainly in jazz music. I have always wanted to play a wind instrument, and as a late bloomer I play with soul but without ambition.

One of my guitar-tutors in my university training was a lute player who leads and conducts one of today's best vocal groups for old music: Konrad Junghänel of Cantus Cölln. As a student, I taught a lot of lessons myself for about 4 years but stopped when I became a full-time teacher.

I played a lot of different instruments over the years: I started on a Ramirez, went on to a very early Kohno 5 and later on to a Monch from the late 50s. Then a Thomas Humphrey Millenium came my way which was my main instrument for a long time. Not surprisingly, my old love for the lute made my grab a rare occasion in about 2000: a 10-string guitar with a Nomex top built my Matthias Dammann. I have never again played anything like that guitar. After about 8 years I decided I could not find the time to really master it and sold it to a very good pro. My love for the 10-string guitar made me buy a 10-string guitar with a solid spruce top built by Hermann Hauser (III).

Today, my only 6-string classical guitar is one of Matthias Dammann's early masterworks from the 80s. At that time, he still built solid top guitars, and this one features a solid cedar top. Now and then, I think this guitar should be in more adequate hands and have offered it for sale. Then again, I'm happy to have it and am ready to make it my #1 for the rest of my life.

The music I love most these days is baroque music, especially Johann Sebastian Bach and Georg Friedrich Händel.
Hope this will do as an introductory portrait. Thanks for having me.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Hello from Cologne, Germany

Post by GeoffB » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:12 pm

Hello lilikati,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for that excellent introduction! I'm sure you will feel very much at home here.

Please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started, including links to the rules and helpfiles. After your second message has been approved, you will have access to all members' scores and recordings plus the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

lilikati

Post by lilikati » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:20 pm

Thanks, Geoff, your warm welcome is much appreciated.

Langvarig

Post by Langvarig » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Hello and welcome - it's quite a list of lovely instruments you have been familiar with. I will look forward to hear recordings of your Damman guitar - Bach will be welcome too.
Regards
John

errrtoffie

Post by errrtoffie » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:19 pm

Hello and welcome bach is everywhere we love bach

Return to “Introduce yourself”