Hello from southern Oregon, USA

lux

Hello from southern Oregon, USA

Post by lux » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:57 pm

Greetings. Joined the forum recently and posted one reply. I live in Medford, Oregon which is just a few miles north of the California border.

1) Do you play guitar? Are you a lover of guitar music, but don't play yourself? Are you a Luthier?
I play guitar at an intermediate level. I wouldn't say that I love all music written for any one instrument, guitar included, but I'm a big fan of the nylon-string sound. I prefer music from the 19th century and later. I live in an area with local availability of some good tone woods (California myrtle, claro walnut, redwood, Port Orford cedar, etc.) so am dabbling in building. I hold the label "luthier" in high regard, however, and wouldn't apply it to a dilettante like me.

2) How long have you played? What is your experience? How old (young) were you when you started? Or did you just start last week?
I have an interrupted history with the instrument. I played folk-style guitar starting from about the age of 12 and took a year of classical guitar lessons in college. After a hiatus of 25 years or so, I started playing again about 4 years ago.

3) Do you take lessons? Or are you self-taught? Are you a teacher of Classical Guitar?
I'm mostly self-taught, but had some formal instruction when starting on classical guitar.

4) Did you start with another type of guitar or musical instrument, and then discover the Classical Guitar?
My mother started me on piano in first grade and I hated it. I started with a nylon-string folk guitar in 6th grade, moved to steel string (ragtime and jazz), and became enamored of the sound of nylon-string guitar after spending half a year in Brazil.

5) What type of music are you particularly interested in? What pieces are you currently working on?
I'm most interested in world music and jazz. Music from the golden age of bossa nova (1957-1972) is a major interest. I also like to sing and play. While steel-string guitars are the preferred instruments for vocal accompaniment in English-speaking countries, nylon-string guitars are much used as accompaniment instruments in Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries. The technique of playing the guitar for vocal accompaniment in these traditions is often much informed by classical technique. I'm currently working on Preludio de Adios by Alfonso Montes and Aquarela do Brasil by Ary Barroso.

6) Do you have a large gap in your life when you stopped playing the guitar?
Does a quarter of a century count as "a large gap"? Guilty as charged.

7) And so on! Anything that you wish to share with us will be much appreciated.

Erik Zurcher

Re: Hello from southern Oregon, USA

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:02 pm

Hello lux and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:04 am

lux wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:57 pm
Greetings. Joined the forum recently and posted one reply. I live in Medford, Oregon which is just a few miles north of the California border.

1) Do you play guitar? Are you a lover of guitar music, but don't play yourself? Are you a Luthier?
I play guitar at an intermediate level. I wouldn't say that I love all music written for any one instrument, guitar included, but I'm a big fan of the nylon-string sound. I prefer music from the 19th century and later. I live in an area with local availability of some good tone woods (California myrtle, claro walnut, redwood, Port Orford cedar, etc.) so am dabbling in building. I hold the label "luthier" in high regard, however, and wouldn't apply it to a dilettante like me.

2) How long have you played? What is your experience? How old (young) were you when you started? Or did you just start last week?
I have an interrupted history with the instrument. I played folk-style guitar starting from about the age of 12 and took a year of classical guitar lessons in college. After a hiatus of 25 years or so, I started playing again about 4 years ago.

3) Do you take lessons? Or are you self-taught? Are you a teacher of Classical Guitar?
I'm mostly self-taught, but had some formal instruction when starting on classical guitar.

4) Did you start with another type of guitar or musical instrument, and then discover the Classical Guitar?
My mother started me on piano in first grade and I hated it. I started with a nylon-string folk guitar in 6th grade, moved to steel string (ragtime and jazz), and became enamored of the sound of nylon-string guitar after spending half a year in Brazil.

5) What type of music are you particularly interested in? What pieces are you currently working on?
I'm most interested in world music and jazz. Music from the golden age of bossa nova (1957-1972) is a major interest. I also like to sing and play. While steel-string guitars are the preferred instruments for vocal accompaniment in English-speaking countries, nylon-string guitars are much used as accompaniment instruments in Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries. The technique of playing the guitar for vocal accompaniment in these traditions is often much informed by classical technique. I'm currently working on Preludio de Adios by Alfonso Montes and Aquarela do Brasil by Ary Barroso.

6) Do you have a large gap in your life when you stopped playing the guitar?
Does a quarter of a century count as "a large gap"? Guilty as charged.

7) And so on! Anything that you wish to share with us will be much appreciated.
Hi there

Would it be possible for to link me to or let me know where you can get the music for Aquarela do Brasil? Would love to play it

Thanks

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:26 pm

lux wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:57 pm
Hello lux,

I live about an hour down river from you. Also make guitars.

I want to mention the Jefferson Classical Guitar Society which meets at 6 pm the first Tuesday of the month at the Paschal winery near Talent. It's a really nice small venue with great acoustics and a friendly crowd.

Return to “Introduce yourself”