New Member from Central California

doebringer

New Member from Central California

Post by doebringer » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:53 pm

Greetings everybody! My name is Adam Sharp.

I've played classical guitar now for about 4 years, starting in community college on a whim. Turns out I love this whole music thing, since I'm now a senior at CSU-Fresno studying music education. My primary instrument is the guitar, but I also play piano (my parents got me lessons when I was very young), and I sing as well, having participated in chamber choirs and in several opera productions as both ensemble and principle.

I took lessons from Dr. Kevin Cooper at Fresno City College for several semesters before transferring to Fresno State where I study with Dr. Corey Whitehead. I've had master class lessons with Grisha Goryachev and got to meet and work with George Sakellariou. My primary guitar actually was formerly Maestro Sakellariou's made by David Schramm, built in the style of Robert Bouchet.

Some of my favorite classical guitarists are Julian Bream, George Sakellariou of course, Marc Teicholz, and Christopher Parkening. Shame the old masters aren't really playing as much as they used to. John Williams is amazing of course, but not I'm not really a fan of the smallman-style guitars. Ironic since I own a guitar by Dave Schramm, I know.

I'm primarily interested in early music, but not exclusively so. I know that the guitar as I know it didn't exist in the renaissance or even the baroque, but the music of these eras is just my cup of tea! I know that as a classical guitarist I *should* focus on spanish music, and while I know some pieces by guys like Tarrega and Sor, they just don't stimulate my mind quite the same way as the music of people like Dowland, Weiss, Bach, de Visee, etc.

I'm currently working on a Tombeau and a Ciacona by Weiss as well as a transcription for guitar of Clair de Lune by Debussy (arr. Mermikides). A few of my other favorite pieces in my repertoire are de Visee's Dm suite, a Pavane by Gaspar Sanz, an arrangement of the prelude to the first cello suite by Bach, as well as Lagrima and Adelita by Tarrega. I think I might learn the variations on a theme by Handel (Harmonious Blacksmith) next.

I have a passion for music theory and history as well as performance.

Other hobbies of mine: Martial Arts (japanese and historical european martial arts of the renaissance), logic, philosophy, linguistics, polynesian culture and physical anthropology (specifically early human pre-history). I am a fluent speaker of Samoan and am a Samoan Chief on the island of Upolu (no I wasn't born there nor do I have any actual Samoan heritage, I just lived there for a few years) , though I live in the states. My own ancestry is primarily that of the British Isles and Scandinavia(by way of my Scottish heritage, clan MacLachlan and Stewart of Bute on my mother's/father's side, respectively).

George Crocket

Re: New Member from Central California

Post by George Crocket » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:40 am

Hi Adam. Welcome to the forum and thanks for the interesting introduction.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules.

Once you have posted a second message you will be able to access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

It will be great to see your contributions.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Return to “Introduce yourself”