Howdy from Chattanooga

benny

Howdy from Chattanooga

Post by benny » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:31 pm

Hey hey hey...happy to be here and learn about this site. I live in Chattanooga, Tennessee so being able to discuss classical guitar in any capacity is about as rare as spotting a rainbow colored unicorn. I know, I know...you are probably thinking that the South is a bustling metropolis of classical guitar virtuosos, where meetings of great minds occur daily, but, sigh, it is not the case.

I say Segovia, they say Skynard
I say Weiss, they say Waylon
I say Bach, they say Alabama

That's what I am dealing with here, so needless to say I am excited to gather with fellow nylon nerds to chat.

About me...
Tall, athletic build, gainfully employed...oh, sorry, I thought this was match.com for a sec, let me switch gears here...

I played guitar since around '92 when I saw Slash rip a solo on stage with his Les Paul. That started the deep desire to play something that I felt was for me...no more clarinet in band class. Don't get me wrong the clarinet is a great instrument...for the bandstand on the fourth of July...but it just wasn't for me.

So after several years of Jimmy Page, SRV, Van Halen, Hendrix, Kirk Hammett, Crate amps, Fender knock offs, random garage bands doing poor Pink Floyd covers, minor scales with the metronome on 180, arpeggios, and a love for distortion (with delay, always with delay), I found myself in my last year of college looking at filling an elective spot.

Classical guitar? The hell is that? hmmm...well why not, I need another hour and I have an acoustic guitar. And so it began...

I had always enjoyed finger picking...Stairway to Heaven, Dust In the Wind, House of the Rising Sun, etc, and I immediately got hooked on the finger style of classical guitar. My teacher, Brett Terrell, was amazing and I realize now how invaluable a patient, knowledgeable, and passionate teacher is. He recognized I had some residual musical reading skills and began tuning them up with an introduction to scales and a Sor piece in C. Or course it was Sor.

I loved the structure of the music, the voicings of the guitar, and the theory that gave it all a backbone. After learning all the basics from Shearer and a couple other standards, it was Milan, Sanz, Carcassi, and eventually...Bach (BOOM...MIND BLOWN). The way that the lute suites translated to guitar was beautifully humbling to me.

And so it became my new hobby. I left college and that town after a few years, and unfortunately my teacher. I played on my own for a while and found another teacher when I was highly motivated, then after a few years would go on my own again. Ebb and flow...

Interest would wane over the years and I eventually found rock climbing...and once I got really into that, my nails got filed shorter and shorter. So for the last several years, I have picked up my nylon string every few months to pluck out choice Bach passages, or try to play Weiss's Pasacaglia with no flubs...with little success.

But there was and is always a passion for playing and in the last few months I have picked up the nylon stringed beast again, gotten a teacher of good repute (a Peabody guy), and found many new pieces that really blow my hair back.

I am INTO it now, I tell you. Within my recent guitar renaissance, I have been playing Torroba, Villa-Lobos, Tarrega, Lauro (oh that Third Venezualean Waltz-WATCH OUT!), and a few others.

So, yeah, here I am just looking for like minded guitar folks to bounce ideas off of and ask for tips and suggestions. I'll offer up what I can and try to keep the sarcasm tolerable or at least humorous.

CHEERS...
2007 Kenny Hill Munich Artisan Series Munich Model
metronome @420
IPA

Erik Zurcher

Re: Howdy from Chattanooga

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:27 pm

Hello Benny and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

CathyCate

Re: Howdy from Chattanooga

Post by CathyCate » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:48 pm

Benny,
Fun introduction. Yep, you're a goner. Welcome!

Return to “Introduce yourself”