Greetings from Mount Rainier, MD US of A

BrianTakamine

Greetings from Mount Rainier, MD US of A

Post by BrianTakamine » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Hello,
I am an intermediate level guitar player, self taught. I play a Takamine with a pickup, which my teacher from many years ago used in performance and recommended to me.
I usually get in about 30 minutes each day, focusing exclusively on repertoire. I have previously done a lot with technique: scales, slurs, arpeggios, tremelo, but I have so little time to devote, I figured to concentrate on music.
I have never worked on barre chords specifically, and I know I should,and I think I am fairly good with fingerboard knowledge, but there is always room for improvement.
I am working on a tremelo piece right now, Etude by Karl Ogden, and I would like to play RDLA and others too; I am sure I will need a teacher for that.
I struggle mightily with performance anxiety ( aaahhh, so much better than STAGE FRIGHT!!! ). I have observed that without anyone within earshot, in other words, even with no audience, just the commitment to play one piece, onetime through, no stopping, or going back, etc, is itself unnerving enough to me to cause me to lose my place, on pieces that I feel I know cold. So obviously I need more practice with that, and I do try to play on my front porch once a week.
My repertoire is currently 9 pieces plus Leyenda, which will take me years to learn , I am sure.
Variation - Sor
Variation - Giuliani
Minuet - Sor
First Noel
Jesu Joy of Mans Desiring - Bach
Ave Maria - Schubert
Etude ( 31 ) Karl Ogden
Planxty Irwin _ O'Carrolan
Prelude in D - Bach

Leyenda - Albeniz

The first 3 pieces are from Noad's book; Etude ( 31 ) from a tremelo book, forget the author, ( I am at work here, "Yawn", tough job, I know ); Planxty is from a book of Irish traditional music
Prelude in D I am working on first 28 measure right now, just before the insanity part begins. I am making very slow progress on memorizing all that, there are two sections that I hope to clean up soon. I have played much more than that previously, but for performance sake, I feel it is best to concentrate on just so many pieces.

Other than that, I am 52 year old , carpenter, working as a maintenance engineer ( don't let the job title fool you ), and an avid correspondence chess player ( this is my other hobby which steals all the time from guitar play )

Erik Zurcher

Re: Greetings from Mount Rainier, MD US of A

Post by Erik Zurcher » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:56 pm

Hello Brian and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Return to “Introduce yourself”