Greeting from Santa Rosa, CA

dvandeveer

Greeting from Santa Rosa, CA

Post by dvandeveer » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:03 pm

Hello,
I am posting this introduction. I am a 70 yr. old retired architect/engineer with fifty years of amateur guitar playing under my belt. I started in 1966 with an inexpensive nylon string guitar bought in Madrid Spain and moved through years of folk, steel string, electric, banjo and mandolin playing, but just since retiring 2 yrs ago, took up Classical Nylon. I really now enjoy the mellower and real feeling of the pure unamplified, non-effect-enhanced beauty of the classical guitar. I bought an inexpensive but very nice Cordoba C3M and replaced the saddle and nut with new bone ones, carefully adjusted per internet videos and tips from this forum. I also installed nice $50 Rubner tuning machines. I also tried many strings and again took advice from the various internet sources. I currently prefer Savarez 500 AJ high tension corum bases with carbon trebles. These are very special sounding to me and long lasting. Also I have been to some great concerts. My wife and I saw Xuefei Yang and enjoyed it and we especially enjoyed a recent concert at Sonoma State by the great Andrew York. It's extremely moving to feel the magic provided by such talent playing a great guitar through zero microphones. Although I love all kinds of great electric guitar talent, I am now especially in awe of such pure acoustic music resonating through a special classical instrument in a small (250 person) hall.
Thanks for this fine forum.

Erik Zurcher

Re: Greeting from Santa Rosa, CA

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:06 pm

Hello dvandeveer and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

oski79

Post by oski79 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:32 pm

Greetings from just a few miles down Hwy 12, dvandeveer. Hope you were unscathed by the recent fires. Scary times around here!
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

dvandeveer

Post by dvandeveer » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:22 pm

Thanks oski79. We were unscathed, but temporarily evacuated to a friend's house in Inverness. Hope you were ok as well.

Return to “Introduce yourself”