Hello from Minnesota

Glen H.

Hello from Minnesota

Post by Glen H. » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:57 am

Hi I'm Glen. A few facts about me and my musical life:
1. Age: I'm younger than Christopher Parkening and older than Ana Vidovic.
2. I took piano lessons for 3 years, from age 9-11. :(
3. I did it to please a parent.
4. I was a very bad, unmotivated piano student. :(
5. I made my piano teacher retire. :) After 3 years of having me as her student, my piano teacher retired. To this day, I am firmly convinced that it was my poor performance that drove her to retire.
6. I played the trumpet in junior/senior high school. I loved the rock group Chicago (and still do). My plan was to replace Lee Loughnane when he retired from the band. He is in his 70's, has never played better and shows no signs of retiring, and I haven't touched a trumpet since high school. Trumpet players make great kissers- great pucker power and breath control. :lol:
7. I played acoustic guitar briefly in high school, on a terrible sounding $50 guitar.
8. I've played a Classical/Spanish guitar since, um, Tuesday. :D
9. I have enjoyed Classical and Spanish guitar music for decades (especially Spanish). I always told myself I should learn how to play, but never did. In the midst of a life-threatening illness, I vowed that if I recovered I would learn how to play. After recovering and after paying some medical bills, I began saving for a nice guitar.
10. I have recently purchased a 2016 Francisco Navarro Garcia Grand Concert Rodriquez Model. Some day I hope to do it justice.
2016 Francisco Navarro Garcia Grand Concert Rodriquez Model- Palo Escrito/Cedar

George Crocket

Re: Hello from Minnesota

Post by George Crocket » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:46 am

Hi Glen. Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the wonderful world of classical guitar.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules.

Once you have posted a second message you will be able to access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

See you around.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Glen H.

Post by Glen H. » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:26 am

Thank you, George.

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:30 pm

Welcome, Glen!
Enjoyed your informative and humorous intro.
My sister is a retired music teacher, who shared many stories with me over the years. Do not give yourself too much credit/blame re: your piano teacher's retirement. My guess is that you had many comrades and lots of help in her making a decision to throw in the towel. :)

Glen H.

Post by Glen H. » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:49 am

Hi Cathy,
Thanks for the reassurance, but you may be underestimating my ability to play the piano really, really badly. I've been to the Detroit area- Livonia, Farmington Hills. Farmington Hills is beautiful.

Return to “Introduce yourself”