New Guy in Seattle

Ron

New Guy in Seattle

Post by Ron » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:08 pm

Hi all,

My name is Ron. I live in Seattle Washington (Magnolia neighborhood). 50 years ago I took some guitar lessons from Howard Morgan in New York and have not played since. I am now in my 70s and would like to commit to learning and playing again. I dug out my old Gibson Classic and am trying to remember the basics. Fortunately I still have all my old lesson books. Aaron Shearer book one and two plus a bunch of scribbles from early lessons.

My primary interest is now classical music, but also like the finger style jazz Howard Morgan focused on. (That crazy old guy is now on utube doing his stuff! Check it out.)

It would be nice to meet some forum members who live nearby.

To “new beginnings”... Cheers

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: New Guy in Seattle

Post by GeoffB » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:49 pm

Hi Ron,

Welcome to the forum! Please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started, including links to the rules and helpfiles. After your second message has been approved, you will have access to all members' scores and recordings plus the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

oski79

Post by oski79 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:09 pm

Hi Ron;

I lived in Seattle for 26 years, until five years ago, and I can tell you that in regards to classical guitar, you live in a great area. Stop by Rosewood Guitar in Greenwood (just below 85th). Great selection of guitars, sheet music, and instructors there. And do check out the Seattle Classical Guitar Society. The SCGS holds open mikes once a month and it's a great way to meet local players. There is another open mike in Bellevue, also once a month, that is a really friendly, intimate group.

If you'd like more info, please feel free to PM me.

Best wishes,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Lorette

Post by Lorette » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:58 pm

:bye: Hi Ron,

Welcome to the Forum. You are amongst friends. Many of us have returned to classical guitar after a long hiatus and happily found that we relearned faster than expected. It seems that our fingers remember more than our brains.

As oski says, you’re in a great location for classical guitar. Take advantage of it and have fun!
Lorette :chitarrista:

Ron

Post by Ron » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:32 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome. Both my brain and fingers have a lot of catching up to do. Also the aching wrist. My Gibson Classic Flamenco sounds pretty good after hibernating in its box for 50 years. It deserves better than me. I do hope to practice every day so I can listen to the sweet sounds this fine guitar is capable of.

Best wishes to you all,

Ron

Return to “Introduce yourself”