Hello from Fountain City!

hacklemanm

Hello from Fountain City!

Post by hacklemanm » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:21 pm

Ok, that is really Kansas City...its called "Fountain City" because there is only one other city in the world with more actual fountains and thats Rome.

At any rate, I am looking forward to exploring this site.

Brief history: the instrument I made my actual living on was the French horn. I played in Calgary, Vancouver, Montreal and lastly in the National Symphony at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC. I also played a number of years with the Canadian Brass and the Empire Brass. I started playing the horn at 16 and landed my first Principal horn seat in Calgary in 1972. All these years later I became Professor of Horn at the UMKC Conservatory in in Kansas City.

I actually played the guitar before I played the horn but felt when I really committed to the horn I had to put down the guitar. About 10 or so years ago I took up the guitar feeling that I had the horn under control. Just last year I stopped playing the horn so now I am 110% into the guitar. Such a different mistress...don't feel I have to perform like I had to on the horn so it's all about WHAT I WANT...I was pretty much self taught on the horn and the guitar pretty much the same. I have tons of music but just find things I like and figure out how to play them. I often "adapt" pieces the way I see them rather than copy any particular tradition...I did the same as a horn player but with the guitar I can have even more fun! As a professional music teacher I know what to look for in a good student (me this time...) and as the teacher, recognize the shortest, most efficient route to any particular issue.

Anyway, I gather that introductions on this site are important so I wanted to share even if it might be a bit much...
Cheers, Marty Hackleman

oski79

Re: Hello from Fountain City!

Post by oski79 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:00 pm

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

It is important to note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

CathyCate

Re: Hello from Fountain City!

Post by CathyCate » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:02 am

Welcome, Marty. Looking forward to your input. You are very modest, and it's an honor to have you here.

Return to “Introduce yourself”