Hello from the Alps in the very south of Germany

too

Hello from the Alps in the very south of Germany

Post by too » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:29 pm

Hello forum members, just call me "too".

I started playing the guitar (strumming and singing) way over 40 years ago. Over the years my favorite guitar interests switched from playing and singing songs to classic to jazz to modern finger style on steel strings and back or crosswise from here to there.

While suffering finger, wrist and hand pain, playing guitar hurts most of the time and this is frustrating. Thus, I switched to a couple of different instruments over the year and enjoyed playing them. Nevertheless, guitar was always my first and biggest love and some weeks ago I thought I should give it another try. I bought a 3/4 size Cordoba classical guitar which makes stretches less painful. i also have a Guitalele (ADGCEA) which is the most comfortable guitar like instrument I can play. Sorrily the tuning is a fourth higher than standard guitar tuning (like standard guitar with a capo on fret V) so everything sounds much higher or even "thinner".

The new 3/4 guitar has very hard tension strings which work comfortable and sound well on the shorter neck. Though it ist not perfect, it is a good compromise for now - because I found new joy in working on classical tunes ...

Due to this hand / finger pain thing, I also started playing the harp 3 years ago which is great and almost painless for my fingers. As I need short cut finger nails for the harp, I started woring on nail less playing as suggested by the later Tarrega and his student Pujol. I never did this before but I am surprised how sweet and warm such sound can be (still working on it).

What makes me really happy ist that after so long years I found a way to play harp and classical guitar side by side whenever I want and switching from guitar to harp when the left hand thumb hurts too much.

I look forward to change experience, wisdom, hints and of course musical inspiration with all fellow classical guitarists around.

Thank you for your attention,
too

oski79

Re: Hello from the Alps in the very south of Germany

Post by oski79 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:35 pm

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

It is important to note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Patona

Re: Hello from the Alps in the very south of Germany

Post by Patona » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:51 pm

Hello too,

welcome to the Delcamp forum as a new german member. I've only been here for a while, but I found a lot of interesting stuff and interesting people here. Maybe you have a look to a special musicians ambulance with your hand injury. It`s not normal to play guitar with pain. In Munich is such an institute and it is not only for professionals. Have a closer look to the internet, maybe here:

http://www.mri.tum.de/musikermedizin

Good luck and have a good time here.

Patona
Boguslav Teryks Doubletop. spruce-cedar
Hanika 1A/PF, spruce
Ramirez 1a, 1972, cedar

Return to “Introduce yourself”