Hi I'm back

mandolynie

Hi I'm back

Post by mandolynie » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:45 am

I'm Mandolynie and I used to be a member but I stopped playing for a while. I have played guitar on and off for since I was about 10. At first i had to sneak my brother's guitar because he was the "musician' in the family. In the early 80's I lived in Japan and bought a Takamine Hirade which I still have--unfortunately I stepped on it in college so it is now the guitar that sits in the corner of my classroom and gets taken out every once in a while. I eventually bought a Martin D-28 and played bluegrass and folk for a while.

Then I took classical lessons for about a year about five years ago and loved it. Loved it enough to buy a nice classical guitar.

Now I play guitar in a "band" called Sometimes a Trio. I play that guitar and my friend plays Celtic harp. We play pretty basic tunes, mostly Celtic. We used to make CD's to give to our friends, but it became kind of stressful so now we play for fun. The current tune we are working on is Oh Shenandoah.

I kind of stopped playing classical because my hands aren't working as well as they used to. I have lost some feeling and flexibility and have slowed down quite a bit.

I also play mandolin and fiddle and have recently acquired a mountain dulcimer that I have played a bit. I make recordings of myself playing each instrument. I usually use Logic to to record on my computer.

Thanks for letting me back in the group! :merci:

Erik Zurcher

Re: Hi I'm back

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:39 am

Hello Mandolynie and welcome back to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.
许理和·海牙·荷兰 Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Jim Imbur
Location: Midway between Lynchburg and Charlottesville Virginia

Post by Jim Imbur » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:31 pm

Enjoyed reading your intro. Just curious- have you played some of the music usually associated with steel string on your classical guitar? Someone told me that Chet Atkins did some of his recordings with CG.

mandolynie

Post by mandolynie » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:23 pm

I do play "steel string" types of tunes on my classical-mostly fingerstyle fiddletunes. In fact, I’m told my classical is braced similarly to an acoustic, but I can’t remember if it was X-braced or what it was. I don’t play Chet Atkins style. When I play with my friend the harpist, we try to blend or trade off our notes so sometimes you can’t tell which is harp and which is guitar. Many people have told us I should play an acoustic to provide more contrast, but I really like our sound and that’s what matters to me.

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:26 pm

mandolynie wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:23 pm
I do play "steel string" types of tunes on my classical-mostly fingerstyle fiddletunes. In fact, I’m told my classical is braced similarly to an acoustic, but I can’t remember if it was X-braced or what it was. I don’t play Chet Atkins style. When I play with my friend the harpist, we try to blend or trade off our notes so sometimes you can’t tell which is harp and which is guitar. Many people have told us I should play an acoustic to provide more contrast, but I really like our sound and that’s what matters to me.
Hi, welcome to the forum. Your music sounds quite interesting, do you have any recordings you could share with us? (on your website, or mp3 you are happy to upload to this forum?). Do you find any arrangements or always make your own?
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

mandolynie

Post by mandolynie » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:44 am

As soon as I learn how, I can upload but I don’t think we have recorded any classical pieces. Most of our recordings are Celtic or American.

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:26 am

mandolynie wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:44 am
As soon as I learn how, I can upload but I don’t think we have recorded any classical pieces. Most of our recordings are Celtic or American.
There is plenty of celtic stuff on the forum already, as long as it is public domain (old/traditional) or you have the composer's consent.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Return to “Introduce yourself”