Greetings from Kevin from Colorado

klaake

Greetings from Kevin from Colorado

Post by klaake » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:51 pm

Greetings to all the existing DelCamp forum users,

My name is Kevin, and I'm an intermediate classical guitar player looking to tap into the wealth of knowledge on this site to take my playing to the next level. My musical history starts in 3rd grade when I took up the violin thru high school. I also was a member of a string quartet during my college years playing at weddings, banquets, etc so I have many years of performance history.

I moved to Colorado after college and didn't have the motivation to find another group of strings players so I let my violin skills rot for several years. I had always wanted to play the guitar so I bought an old Fender Strat hoping I could become a poor mans Stevie Ray Vaughan. After about 1 year of playing, I became a first time parent and gave up some of my hobbies including guitar.

About a year and a half ago, as a 39 year old I decided to give the electric guitar one more shot. I found a great teacher and we worked on blues guitar. However, my teacher's main passion was classical guitar and I asked him about it after one lesson. We noodled around for a few minutes and I was surprised at the wider neck length and warm sound. I started to get hooked. I soon realized that I probably wasn't going to be forming a rock band anytime soon, and playing riffs by myself was getting kinda boring. However, playing the classical guitar brought me back to my roots : classical pieces from when I played violin all those years. So, after 6 months of electric guitar playing I switched full time over to classical guitar. It's been an awesome journey so far. Although life and work sometimes gets in the way of practice and play, I still enjoy each moment I get to spend working through measure and measure of music.

Regards,

Kevin

oski79

Re: Greetings from Kevin from Colorado

Post by oski79 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:03 pm

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

It is important to note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:52 am

Great to have you here, Kevin! Your ear from all those years of violin and ensemble playing will help you progress quickly, no doubt. :-)
We all here to help each other on the journey and look forward to your contributions to our conversations. :bye:
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

klaake

Post by klaake » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:16 am

Thanks for the welcome!
Yeah, all the years of violin really help with music reading and notation, and I already have pretty good finger dexterity, but the right hand technique has been completely new. Very challenging but fun! Looking forward to contributing.

Return to “Introduce yourself”