Greetings from Massachusetts USA

wlh-0028VS

Greetings from Massachusetts USA

Post by wlh-0028VS » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:32 pm

I have always had a passion for music in general. I played saxophone through school but had an underlying passion for guitar. I was born with a natural road block that made it difficult to pursue playing guitar. Eventually I had enough money to buy a guitar that was made for a staunch lefty. I ordered a Martin D41 and shortly there after a Martin 0028. I studied and transcribed early finger style country blues scores performed by the likes of Blind Blake , Big Bill Broonzy and others. But I have come to a point where this genre of music has failed to supply me emotionally with the depth and complexity I now need and desire. So, I've turned to classical music and am eager to begin to fulfill a new musical endeavor. The tool I have chosen to facilitate this pursuit is a Carrillo Gabriela - Spruce Top. I ordered it Just yesterday. And of course it has to be a lefty. I expect to receive it the end of February.

Thanks for stopping in for my introduction.

Wayne

George Crocket

Re: Greetings from Massachusetts USA

Post by George Crocket » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:49 pm

Greetings, Wayne. Welcome to the forum. It's great that you have finally come to classical guitar. :casque:

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules. Once you have posted a second message you will be able to access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

Enjoy your visits.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:26 pm

Welcome! I too came from steel string to nylon string, Classical Guitar. I owned a couple of nice Martin guitars and after hearing a classical guitar got rid of the Martins and acquired a classical. I’ve never looked back. And like you, the boom chuck of the steel string lost it’s luster.
All the best to you. Enjoy your Delcamp exploration!
Happy New Year!
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

Rick Hutt

Post by Rick Hutt » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:15 pm

Welcome from another Martin owner and operator. I am lucky enough to be able to go back and forth between my steel stringers and my classical. Enjoy the forum!!
2010 Pimentel & Sons Concert Grand
1970 Taurus (Barcelona)
2009 Ramundi flamenco blanca
1962 Martin 0-16
2000 Martin 000-18
1963 Epiphone 12 Str

Time4Tea

Post by Time4Tea » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:02 am

Welcome Wayne, from another reed player!
1972 Yamaha G-85A Kaohsiung Factory unit # 421
Ibanez 5-string bass
Eb sopranino clarinet
Bb soprano clarinet
Eb alto clarinet
Bb bass clarinet
Eb alto saxophone
Bb tenor saxophone

wlh-0028VS

Post by wlh-0028VS » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:13 am

Rick Hutt wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:15 pm
Welcome from another Martin owner and operator. I am lucky enough to be able to go back and forth between my steel stringers and my classical. Enjoy the forum!!

Thanks Rick,

I'll be able to swap back and forth from steel to nylon too once I get the Carrillo. I forgot to mention that I also have a Martin 0028VS (lefty).

wlh-0028VS

Post by wlh-0028VS » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:20 am

Time4Tea wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:02 am
Welcome Wayne, from another reed player!

Awesome.

I still have the Sax. Was thinking about getting it back in shape. It needs pads and a new mouth piece, maybe new cork on the goose neck too. It's an alto silver model. I wanted a tenor when I started but I was only in the third grade, not a very big guy so, the tenor would have been to big for me to handle.

Do you still play yours?

Wayne
Last edited by wlh-0028VS on Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Time4Tea

Post by Time4Tea » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:14 pm

Alto's are great Wayne. I try to focus on tenor (working on subtones) but the horn has been sitting as of late due to the fact that I can't keep my nose out of Aaron Shearer's Level 1 book !

Thanks for the reply!
1972 Yamaha G-85A Kaohsiung Factory unit # 421
Ibanez 5-string bass
Eb sopranino clarinet
Bb soprano clarinet
Eb alto clarinet
Bb bass clarinet
Eb alto saxophone
Bb tenor saxophone

FHC

Post by FHC » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:20 pm

Welcome Wayne.

patsorenson

Post by patsorenson » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:53 pm

Hi Wayne, I just joined myself and am also from Mass, and also play a Martin, HD28v, along with some others. The guitar you ordered sounds great- may I ask where you ordered it and what led you to decide on that one? Also, what level would you say you are?

Look forward to your posts!

Pat

Return to “Introduce yourself”