Greetings from Cuenca, Ecuador

sbottle

Greetings from Cuenca, Ecuador

Post by sbottle » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:46 pm

Hello everyone,

I had just seen this group today so am joining as it seems like a great forum to expand my horizons in classical guitar.

As you can see, I'm currently living in Cuenca, Ecuador where me and my wife moved about a year ago. The music scene in quite vibrant here and the guitar plays a prominent role. Once a year there is a guitar festival with several concerts and workshops. It's not exclusive to classical guitar but several events are around the classical guitar (concerts, book reviews and workshops).

I started playing classical guitar in 1968 when a friend of mine gave me lessons at night in the air traffic control tower at the Stuttgart Airfield Air Force/Army base. Stuttgart, Germany that is :D . I played for 15 years after that and then the pressures of family and a full time job in IT raised their ugly head. It seemed that I was making no progress and in fact reverse progress so I stopped playing. For music, I joined local choirs as a first tenor (the highlight was 2 1/2 years singing with the Johannesburg Symphony Choir while I was on a project in South Africa. I retired at the end of that project and on my way back to Maryland, I stopped in Madrid and bought a Jose Ramirez classical guitar (130 años model). So after over 20 years of not playing, I'm now back practicing and have improved to almost where I was when I stopped. I'm also still singing in a choir (International Cuenca Choral). We just finished our Christmas concerts last week. It's great to be retired :D

Best regards,
Steve Bottle

oski79

Re: Greetings from Cuenca, Ecuador

Post by oski79 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:57 pm

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

It is important to note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Return to “Introduce yourself”