Greetings and Happy New Year from NYC

gfrancis5

Greetings and Happy New Year from NYC

Post by gfrancis5 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:27 am

I’ve been playing guitar on and off for about 12 years, all self-taught and by ear for the most part. I started with the cheapest guitar I could find: a half-sized acoustic that held it’s tuning for an hour, maybe two. The half-size let me know that I really enjoyed the guitar as an instrument, especially the intimacy of holding it and the fact that it makes “natural” and quiet sound. My previous instruments were piano/keyboard (massive or electronic w/ headphones, take your pick) and French Horn (can be held, but I was never good enough to play it quietly).

Having pretty large hands and finally becoming fed up with the tuning issue, I decided I needed something real. I went to Sam Ash and although I had my mind fully set on an electric/acoustic steel string, I found that the action did not work for me (unless I was willing to spend about 4x my budget). An employee listened to my woes and pointed me towards the classicals. The fretboards were amazing and wide, the strings were light and transparent. I was smitten.

For a couple years Ultimate Guitar was my best friend. I strummed through the pop charts (which were frighteningly repetitive and redundant), learned some basic chords and ate up some good YouTube tutorials. Then came life… school… marriage… kids… some broken strings and alas, my darling guitar was relegated to its case… for years.

My musical attentions turned to Jazz and one day while surfing through YouTube I came upon Cheryl Grice-Watterson’s performance of Errol Garner’s “Misty” (which is prepared as a classical arrangement) and I fell completely and inescapably in love.

I dusted off my old guitar, and here we are.

George Crocket

Re: Greetings and Happy New Year from NYC

Post by George Crocket » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:21 am

And a Happy New Year to you too, gfrancis5. Welcome to the forum. Mostly we love our classical guitar world as well. :discussion:

Please begin by having a look at our welcome page where there is more information about the forum and its rules. Once you have posted a second message you will be able to access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

Have fun. :guitare:
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:50 pm

Happy new year and welcome to the forum!

gfrancis5

Post by gfrancis5 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:26 pm

George Crocket wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:21 am
And a Happy New Year to you too, gfrancis5. Welcome to the forum. Mostly we love our classical guitar world as well. :discussion:

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

Have fun. :guitare:
Thank you, George. Noted and added.
Luuttuaja wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:50 pm
Happy new year and welcome to the forum!
Thank you. :D

Return to “Introduce yourself”