Greetings from Virginia

CliffK

Greetings from Virginia

Post by CliffK » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:54 pm

First, a big thank you to Professor Delcamp for this site and greetings to all.
I am recently retired and a complete newcomer to playing Classical Guitar thus here to learn. As an eternal beginner with an interest in music history I have some very modest experience with acoustic and electric guitars. I noodled with my dad’s Gibson mandolin as a child in Chicago then with an acoustic guitar as a teen. My best friend had a couple Martin guitars. I remember we went to a Leo Kottke performance at a small venue...my jaw dropped. My friend was way into John Fahey. We liked John Renbourn and Bert Jansch very much. In the 60s, I liked folk, blues and jazz, as well as classical music. I liked and respected Segovia and Bream very much also and Laurindo Almeida caught my attention. I enjoy a number of Jazz guitarists. I heard Jim Hall live at the Village Vanguard in NYC once, a really wonderful experience. I have heard and met the late John Renbourn at a small venue, another wonderful experience. Same with Tony Rice. Some years ago I took formal lessons for six months on acoustic guitar which included notation. Need to get the rust off. I look forward here to learning Classical Guitar and about contemporary artists, composers, and instruments on the scene today. I enjoy pieces from all periods. Best wishes for the New Year.
Last edited by CliffK on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Thames 2010 It Spruce/BR
Rockbridge SJ cedar/mahagony 2007, cutaway, inlay

Erik Zurcher

Re: Greetings from Virginia

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:39 pm

Hello CliffK and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.
许理和·海牙·荷兰 Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

CliffK

Post by CliffK » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:04 pm

Erik, thank you.
I have started on Sagreras 1 today.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:10 pm

Welcome! Fellow Virginian here. Ashland!
Enjoy your looking around!
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

CliffK

Post by CliffK » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:42 pm

Hi Jack, I’m in Lexington. Thx for your message. Given the frosty weather I am getting some extra practice time in.

Jim Imbur
Location: Midway between Lynchburg and Charlottesville Virginia

Post by Jim Imbur » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:31 pm

Hi Cliff

I'm in Nelson County and have been in Lexington quite a few times. It's about a 1 1/4 hour drive. Great town ! I make a point of visiting the chocolate shop and the gelato shop every time I'm in town.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:56 pm

Hey Jim and CliffK,
My son lives about a mile from Devils Backbone in Nellysford. Perhaps we could plan on a burger and a beer there when it warms up and when I get the all clear to drive again, post rotator cuff surgery.
If you aren’t already keeping up with the Charlottesville Classical Guitar Society check them out. The theatre in Lexington periodically brings in some very fine artists.
Also, check out the Radford University International Guitar Festival in March. It’s free and great fun with amazing guitarists!
PM me if you want contact information!
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

CliffK

Post by CliffK » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:30 pm

Hi Jim. Look forward to seeing you in Lex...we have great coffee too! PM me when you plan to be in the area.

Hi Jack. Absolutely lets all get together when you are visiting Nellysford. Will check out the classical Guitar Society and the Radford Fest. Will PM, thx. Wish you a speedy recovery, just had a pacemaker installed several weeks ago myself.

Cliff

Return to “Introduce yourself”