Old guy new student in Kentucky, USA

RKO

Old guy new student in Kentucky, USA

Post by RKO » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:47 pm

Hi. I have played steel strings, mostly finger style acoustic for 30 years or so. I never worked that hard, so I would consider myself a mediocre player at best. To give you an idea of my level of proficiency, I could get thrpugh Cher Atkins amazing cover of “Vincent,” but I couldn’t get it polished enough that I ever played it for anybody else. Played keyboards semi professionally in various weekend warrior rock bands for years.
But now at the ripe old age of 56, I want to learn to play classical guitar.
My first question is, of course, which one of the following should I buy? I have had classical and crossover guitars from Yamaha, Breedlove, a Córdoba c5 thinline, and a brand called Yakima.
Now that I’m thinking of trying to get semi serious about learning the classical pieces I’ve always loved, I’m thinking either the Córdoba fusion 12, the Córdoba C7, or the Breedlove nylon( pursuit or solo model.)
I am comfortable on a crossover fretboard, less so on a standard flat 2 inch fretboard.
What do you all think?

oski79

Re: Old guy new student in Kentucky, USA

Post by oski79 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:48 pm

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

It is important to note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Jack Douglas

Re: Old guy new student in Kentucky, USA

Post by Jack Douglas » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:26 am

Hi RKO,
Welcome! Going to Classical is both a challenge and a feeling of excitement. Vincent is so nice on a nylon string guitar. That could be your inspiration.
Regarding buying one of the guitars you mentioned I think you ought to shop for a used Classical Guitar. There are a number for sale in the used guitar section. Take your time and enlist the help of a Classical player or teacher.
There are a number of classical guitar dealers that you can find doing a search. The last place, in my opinion, to buy a Classical Guitar are the big brick and mortar music stores.
Take your time as your tastes and ability will change fairly quickly. And you’ll meet some very knowledgeable folks here on Delcamp.
Enjoy the adventure!
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

Return to “Introduce yourself”