US $.3950 David LaPlante spruce 2009, Albany NY

This section is for the use of fully participating members of the forum.
Forum rules
This section is for the use of fully participating members of the forum.
Ads are accepted only for classical, Renaissance, baroque or flamenco guitars, theorbos, ukuleles or lutes.
Ads for any other type of instrument (electric, electro-acoustic, etc.) or equipment will be removed.
Members may only sell their own instruments or instruments they have built themselves. Business sales from dealers or ads on behalf of other people are not allowed.
New members may advertise one instrument only at any one time, with a maximum value of $500.
Members of the 020 group may advertise one instrument only at any one time, with a maximum value of $15000.
Members who have made at least 60 posts, who have been registered for at least 6 months and who make frequent helpful contributions to forum discussions, may advertise up to 3 instruments at a time, without price limitation.
If you are selling more than one instrument, a separate post for each instrument is required.
The maximum number of ads that may be posted is 3 per year (i.e. in any 12-month period).

Failure to respect these conditions will result in the removal of the ads and in flagrant cases the account of the member may be removed without warning.
Do not give your phone number or your email address except via private message.
Please set out your ad in the following format:
- Type / luthier: (classical, flamenco, lute, baroque, romantic)
- Year of construction:
- Scale length (mm):
- Nut width (mm):
- Top:
- Bracing (fan/lattice/other):
- Back / Sides:
- Fingerboard / (bridge):
- Sound:
- Condition:
- Price:
- Viewing / trial possible:
- Location (nearest city):

In particular please indicate a starting price as well as a location or locations where it is possible to try out the instrument. In the absence of this information, the moderators will regretfully have to withdraw your ad from the forum. The above template covers the most essential details, but sellers should of course provide further information in their ad on any special features.

Title format for your ad:
COUNTRY price(as 5 characters) Luthier model wood(soundboard) year, City/Town-of-sale
For example:
LK $..200 Yamaha G70A spruce 1969, Colombo
US $.7500 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez cedar 1971, Ashburn, VA
($.7500 = $7500), dots are inserted to bring all prices to 5 characters, allowing the use of an ascending sort by subject. This will display ads in order of country and price. The function to sort in ascending (or descending) order of subject is available at the bottom of the page below the guitar sales listings.
Country codes may be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1
Capital letters are restricted to the initial letters of proper names.

Ads are moved to the archives as soon as the guitar is sold. Ads that have had no response for more than one year will be moved to the archives. A message can be edited by its author for the first 21 days after posting, after which it is necessary to ask a moderator to make any changes.

Members who buy an instrument unseen do so at their own risk and should exercise due caution. For added security, it is advisable to use a licensed online escrow service (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escrow).

The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) means that some materials used in guitars, although formerly allowed, may now require permits or be illegal to sell across national borders, or even locally in some places. It is the responsibility of the buyer and seller to ensure that the sale complies with all applicable laws in their respective countries.
David LaPlante
Luthier

US $.3950 David LaPlante spruce 2009, Albany NY

Post by David LaPlante » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:58 pm

This is my #92 guitar built in 2009 and which has been in my possession since as a demonstration guitar. Hand made rosette and marquetry trim of my own design and construction. French polish finish.
Scale is 650mm with the nut at 53.5 mm. Action is set at 4mm.
The top is a very old piece (40 yrs +) of fine grain superbly quartered German spruce and has aged down to a beautiful patina showing the top coloring constrast typical of German spruce.
Back and sides are old growth dark Brazilian rosewood. The back is three piece and was cut from the same billet as the sides making for a perfect visual match.
Fretboard is of ebony with a Brazilian rosewood bridge and book matched head plate.
Tuners are unadorned plain gold plated Reischls with genuine bone buttons (current retail at around $800.)
Sound is loud with incisive trebles and a strong articulate bass response.
My website currently features three recordings of this guitar made by David Temple at the 2010 Woodstock Luthiers Invitational.
Click on my name and click to the website to hear.
The guitar has seen some travel (Ithaca NY GFA, Austin TX GFA) and has been demoed a lot (Woodstock 2010-2014) at shows and in my studio and thus has picked up some shop wear including several top dings and some very minor abrasions, slight play wear etc.
It however still presents quite beautifully.
Thus the price has been appropriately adjusted and constitiutes a significant savings over the current price of a similar guitar by me in Brazilian rosewood with the highest grade of machine heads.
This is a professional grade guitar in every respect.
Price is $4250.00 which includes a brand new Gator ABS case (TSA latches, heavy duty feet etc.).
Shipping cost additional and depending on your location.
Guitar can be seen and played in the Albany NY area,
or a 72 hour trial is available.
Sorry but no international shipping on this one.
Please PM me for additional photos or information.
Thanks!
Sale#92Front.jpg
Sale#92Rosette.jpg
Sale#92Bridge.jpg
Sale#92Back.jpg
Sale#92Heel.jpg
Sale#92PhdFront.jpg
Sale#92PhdBack.jpg
LaPlante#92-Reichls.jpg
Sale#92case.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

riffmeister

Re: US $4250 David LaPlante Spruce 2009 Albany NY

Post by riffmeister » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:26 pm

Beautiful guitar, David!

gansz

Re: US $4250 David LaPlante Spruce 2009 Albany NY

Post by gansz » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:02 pm

I had the pleasure of playing this guitar for a couple of nights in Philadelphia in October of 2009, when she was still in her infancy. Already the sound was robustly present and articulate. I was so impressed that I commissioned David to build me his #96!

This is a very fine instrument, at an exceptional price.
1863 James Ashborn, Spruce/Maple
1994 Dana Bourgeois, Spruce/Maple (steel)
2010 David LaPlante, Spruce/Maple

Michele Franceschini
Student of the online lessons

Re: US $.4250 David LaPlante spruce 2009, Albany NY

Post by Michele Franceschini » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:09 am

Hi David, question: in the top there is a clearer portion, is that sapwood? (Apologies if the question is silly, I haven't seen a 3 banded guitar except one from Tacchi but that was 3 pieces of wood. Then again, I haven't seen many guitars :P )

David LaPlante
Luthier

Post by David LaPlante » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:24 am

Yes,
I believe that's what it is. European spruce trees are smaller so this most recent growth at the outside makes up a portion of the total width.
Also because the grain is usually finer the farther out you go the tops are joined so that the lighter band of wood end's up in the center.
The natural darkening of the wood seems to have accentuated the color difference.

gansz

Post by gansz » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:15 pm

Here's the guitar on display at the Woodstock, New York, Invitational Luthiers Showcase.

How many of us can say our guitar was at Woodstock?

:D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:50 pm

gansz wrote:How many of us can say our guitar was at Woodstock?
And let's hope Jimi did not give it the lighter fluid test. :D

David LaPlante
Luthier

Post by David LaPlante » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:57 pm

Wasn't that Monterey Pop?

Anyway, this a fine instrument that will serve the needs of most any player.

gansz

Post by gansz » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:30 pm

Yup. Jimi put his Strat on the barbie @ Monterey in 67. The charred remains sold at auction a few years back for $380,000.

This guitar is $375,750 less expensive, more functional, and better sounding!

gansz

Post by gansz » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:19 pm

David--

I just noticed that the sound files on the homepage of your website are of this very guitar. How were the files recorded? The sound is very immediate, without being brash.

Cheers!

David LaPlante
Luthier

Post by David LaPlante » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:36 am

David, The recordings were made by John Guth at the Woodstock Invitational Luthier's Festival.
He was contracted to record and video the demos of the various makers.
Glad you like them!

RWHowe

Post by RWHowe » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:47 pm

I had the opportunity to play this guitar not too long ago. I really enjoyed the guitar, very easy to play and a wonderful tone. If I did not already have four guitars in the house I would buy this one!

gansz

Post by gansz » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:24 am

I also played this guitar. Very sweet, yet robustly present...

David LaPlante
Luthier

Post by David LaPlante » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:08 am

This guitar is still available.
I am revising the asking price to $3950.
All else is still as was when first listed (i.e. not sold and back again).

Best
David LaPlante

Return to “Classical Guitar for Sale”