US $.1250 Cuong Luthier Cedar lattice 2007, Vancouver, Canada

Neil Patrick

US $.1250 Cuong Luthier Cedar lattice 2007, Vancouver, Canada

Post by Neil Patrick » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:39 am

- Type / luthier: Lattice Version 3/Cuong Luthier (Vietnamese Luthier)
- Year of construction: 2007
- Scale length: 650mm
- Nut width: 52mm
- Top: Cedar
- Back / Sides: Vietnamese rosewood
- Fingerboard / Bridge: Ebony/Rosewood
- Finish: Lacquer
- Sound: Powerful and reactive, clear trebles and fast response, excellent projection
- Condition: Good, no structural issues
- Price: $1250 + shipping
- Viewing / trial possible: Yes, trial available in Vacouver, BC, Canada
- Location (nearest city): Seattle, Bellingham

Up for sale is my 2007 V3 Carbon fiber Lattice-Bracing classical guitar. It was built by the well-known Cuong Luthier, he is considered to be one of the best luthier in Asia. Solid Vietnamese Rosewood back and sides are absolutely gorgeous. Tuners color matching with the neck. Details and Craftmanship are all first class.
The lattice bracing system carries the distinct tonal, it somehow lacks the color nuance of traditional guitar. However this guitar is capable of producing a very clear, sustain treble and fast response. The thin top design creates an excellent projection. The volume and tone are even all the way to the 19th fret. The sound is very loud and you may be surprised by the weight, like any Greg Smallman's guitars, it's very heavy compared to a traditional guitar.

Current action height is low and it is unbelievable easy to play, about 3.8mm on 12th fret 6th string. You can raise the action if you want by simply replace a higher nut or saddle.

The guitar is in good condition without any structural issues, no history of repairs or any chips. The neck is straight and in excellent condition with ebony reinforcement. The back and sides do have some light scratches. Due to the fragile thin top, it has some player's wears through the time, mostly are finger's nail marks, but not excessive. A small string whip mark under the bridge.

The top also has 4 small hair lines of seam(lacquer) separation that are only within the lacquer finish (the longest is about 2-3 inches), the wood has no cracks or any damage at all. I inspected the guitar with my local luthier David Reimer and Geza Burghardt, they both confirmed that is is only on the finish and there is nothing to be concerned. However those are superficial and unnoticeable with normal light.

The guitar will be shipped with a semi-hardcase that fits the guitar very well.
Thank you for reading. Please PM me if you are interested.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Neil Patrick on Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neil Patrick

Re: US $.1250 Cuong Luthier Cedar lattice 2007, Vancouver, Canada

Post by Neil Patrick » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:49 am

Here is more pictures of the guitar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:24 am

I want to say something about the price: in Vietnam most people will think you're crazy if you spend more than a thousand USD on a guitar. The living standard is just vastly different: the average income is about $200 per month. If Cuong luthier lived in the US or EU, he would charge much more than that. Currently, I guess, based on old information that I know, $1500-$2000 for a new top level guitar.

I've heard many positive things about Cuong as one of the best luthiers in Vietnam. He's specialized in lattice bracing guitars. His guitars are used by many professional guitarists and conservatory students in the country. Sadly, I've never seen or heard any of his works live in person. I don't know if his guitars are comparable in terms of sound quality and craftsmanship to those of American/Canadian or European luthiers, but perhaps they have higher value/price ratio.

I'm interested, why are you selling this guitar? It seems you haven't owned it for long (viewtopic.php?f=107&t=96997)? Would like to listen to some sound samples.

Neil Patrick

Post by Neil Patrick » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:34 am

Cao Nguyen wrote:I want to say something about the price: in Vietnam most people will think you're crazy if you spend more than a thousand USD on a guitar. The living standard is just vastly different: the average income is about $200 per month. If Cuong luthier lived in the US or EU, he would charge much more than that. Currently, I guess, based on old information that I know, $1500-$2000 for a new top level guitar.

I've heard many positive things about Cuong as one of the best luthiers in Vietnam. He's specialized in lattice bracing guitars. His guitars are used by many professional guitarists and conservatory students in the country. Sadly, I've never seen or heard any of his works live in person. I don't know if his guitars are comparable in terms of sound quality and craftsmanship to those of American/Canadian or European luthiers, but perhaps they have higher value/price ratio.

I'm interested, why are you selling this guitar? It seems you haven't owned it for long (viewtopic.php?f=107&t=96997)? Would like to listen to some sound samples.
Hi Cao, the standard price of a his new top level is about $2500 plus shipping, import tax and 1.5 years on waiting list. I'm selling this guitar for 2 reasons: First is financial reason and the 2nd is I prefer the tone of traditional guitar. I also owned his 1992 traditional and a Sakurai No 5 with Torres bracing and even though it's not as loud as the lattice one, I still enjoy playing it very much. I'm working on the sound sample and I will get back to you soon. I would say Cuong Luthier craftmanship is more than excellent if you have to make a comparison. For the sound, as I've never had a chance to try out any Western Luthier-built guitar, I wouldn't know which one is better. Yes the cost is vastly different there but I think you get for what you pay Cao. Here in North America, you would have to pay atleast $5000 for a custom built luthier guitar.

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:27 am

Thanks Neil for the info. There aren't many Vietnamese luthiers who can pull out that amount from a guitar. I remember quite some years ago he would take $800 for a student model and $1200 for a concert level guitar. I also heard that his waiting list was always 1 year and he refused to build a top level guitar for amateurs who had the money but didn't have enough playing skills to appreciate it :D.

Tam Dinh

Post by Tam Dinh » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:03 pm

Should I have someone buy a guitar by Cuong instead of Paco Castilo, Kremosa or Cordoba c9 ?! I am so disappointed with my new yamaha c40!

Marcus Dominelli
Luthier

Post by Marcus Dominelli » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:32 pm

Gorgeous looking rosewood on this guitar.
Cuong Luthier is a very nice guy. He visited my shop a couple of years ago. He's very experienced and knowledgable.
You are getting a lot of guitar for the money here...

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:54 pm

bongsungbmt,

You get what you pay for, that's true. I thought you got a Cordoba C9? Why did you end up with the Yamaha C40? My friend has a Yahama C80. If I'm not wrong, they're made of plywood. The C80 has a solid top but still sounds unbalanced and dull. A good guitar by a good luthier is better than any of them.

David Conti

Post by David Conti » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:05 pm

If you want a lattice guitar this Cuong is a very good deal. A very well made guitar at a great price.

Neil Patrick

Post by Neil Patrick » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:51 pm

bongsungbmt wrote:Should I have someone buy a guitar by Cuong instead of Paco Castilo, Kremosa or Cordoba c9 ?! I am so disappointed with my new yamaha c40!
Cao Nguyen is totally right, u get what you pay for. But I think if you're a beginner, a C40 Yamaha is gonna be just fine. I used to try the Cordoba C9, very nice guitar with decent sound, but I think they are still factory made guitar. It's not easy to order a guitar from Cuong directly nowadays, like Cao said, you must have a good reference and playing skills.

Neil Patrick

Post by Neil Patrick » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:21 pm

Marcus Dominelli wrote:Gorgeous looking rosewood on this guitar.
Cuong Luthier is a very nice guy. He visited my shop a couple of years ago. He's very experienced and knowledgable.
You are getting a lot of guitar for the money here...
Thanks alot Mr Marcus, Greetings from Vancouver!! I didn't know that he had been here in Canada. Was it long time ago?

Marcus Dominelli
Luthier

Post by Marcus Dominelli » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:00 am

Neil Patrick wrote:Thanks alot Mr Marcus, Greetings from Vancouver!! I didn't know that he had been here in Canada. Was it long time ago?
Hey no problem. He came here I think it was two and a half years ago. He has immediate family in Vancouver, and was visiting.
He just wanted to meet with a Canadian luthier and "talk shop."
He's a very productive maker - builds lots of guitars.

Tam Dinh

Post by Tam Dinh » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:34 am

Cao Nguyen wrote:bongsungbmt,

You get what you pay for, that's true. I thought you got a Cordoba C9? Why did you end up with the Yamaha C40? My friend has a Yahama C80. If I'm not wrong, they're made of plywood. The C80 has a solid top but still sounds unbalanced and dull. A good guitar by a good luthier is better than any of them.
Hi Nguyen!
Thank you for your comment! I don't have such a good beginner guitar like Cor C9. As you know, BMT is a small city to buy a CG. I wanna buy a CG for all my life about 1000$. Is this better to buy a guitar by Cuong luthier than a factory guitar like Kremosa, Cordoba? I have no chance trying a guitar before buying. Is this wrong to have someone in music school buy a CG by Cuong?

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:25 am

bongsungbmt wrote: Hi Nguyen!
Thank you for your comment! I don't have such a good beginner guitar like Cor C9. As you know, BMT is a small city to buy a CG. I wanna buy a CG for all my life about 1000$. Is this better to buy a guitar by Cuong luthier than a factory guitar like Kremosa, Cordoba? I have no chance trying a guitar before buying. Is this wrong to have someone in music school buy a CG by Cuong?
Hi Nam,

It's not totally true that a luthier built guitar is always better than a factory guitar. I think the top models of Yamaha, Cordoba, Ramirez, Hill, etc. can compete with a luthier guitar, but their price is comparable too. However, I don't think such high end (and middle end) factory guitars exist in our small country. I've looked at some onine shops and found that the price of musical instruments and related accessories is vastly inflated (Yahama guitars being an example). So it's safe to say a luthier guitar is better for the value that you pay for. If you want a guitar from Cuong, try contacting him. What I said above is probably just hype.

I think what's important for you at the moment is knowing what qualities a good guitar should have. As a beginner, perhaps you haven't had enough experience to judge a good guitar. So I don't think it's wise to spend $1000 for a "lifetime" guitar now and regret it later. Some qualities are easy to test: action, buzzing, intonation, wolf notes. Other qualities are harder and require more playing and listening experience: volume, sustain, evenness, bass and treble balance. Then go tone color, dynamic range, responsiveness... Once you can realize the limitations of your current guitar, it's time to think for an upgrade.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:55 pm

Hi Neil, looks lie a great instrument. Good luck with the sale. I have only heard good things about Cuong. If I were nearer I would love to see it. I am sure who ever buys it will be very happy. I half suspect that you would sell it quicker if you bumped the price up quite a bit. The low price has unfortunately got people mentioning cheap factory guitars in the thread which distracts potential buyers and moves the thread off on a tangent.

If you have a sound sample it would be great too.

Again good luck with the sale.

Return to “Archives of past "Classical Guitars for Sale"”