GB £.2995 Bert Kwakkel Merula cedar 2001, London/St. Albans

leafhound

Re: GB £.2995 Bert Kwakkel Merula cedar 2001, London/St. Albans

Post by leafhound » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:51 pm

does it come with a uk authority certificate for the br rosewood?

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:25 am

leafhound wrote:does it come with a uk authority certificate for the br rosewood?
I have played many, many BRW nylon and steel-strings over the last 15 years and have encountered only one that had genuine CITES certification for the wood; a Hauser.

The vast majority of BRW was bought in good faith by luthiers several years ago when this sort of thing just wasn't an issue, so the wood never came with certification and its provenance can't be proven. e.g. Just a couple of weeks ago I was playing a wonderful BRW guitar from a UK builder but no CITES documentation. In my experience it's also usual for Dealers not to have it either, for the same reasons.

Personally, I'm not bothered by this. I'm not a trader and when I travel with a guitar it's as hand luggage. I've never encountered a customs officer that had the slightest interest in what my guitar was made of.

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:23 am

UKsteve wrote:
leafhound wrote:does it come with a uk authority certificate for the br rosewood?
I have played many, many BRW nylon and steel-strings over the last 15 years and have encountered only one that had genuine CITES certification for the wood; a Hauser.

The vast majority of BRW was bought in good faith by luthiers several years ago when this sort of thing just wasn't an issue, so the wood never came with certification and its provenance can't be proven. e.g. Just a couple of weeks ago I was playing a wonderful BRW guitar from a UK builder but no CITES documentation. In my experience it's also usual for Dealers not to have it either, for the same reasons.

Personally, I'm not bothered by this. I'm not a trader and when I travel with a guitar it's as hand luggage. I've never encountered a customs officer that had the slightest interest in what my guitar was made of.
I'm fairly certain that Bert Kwakkel can produce CITES paper for the BRW in his guitar if you make a request. He did it for me.

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:27 pm

Still available folks: Lovely sounding guitar at a great price!

Portland Bill

Post by Portland Bill » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:48 am

If this were at a dealers it would have flown out of the door at well above the advertised price, what is wrong with the CG buying world ?

aon.york

Post by aon.york » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:22 pm

The CG world seems to have lost its nerve vis-a-vis Rosewood and CITES. A friend of mine said that actually BRW is no more of a hassle now than Indian Rosewood and a CITES certificate is a little bit of a faff (2 weeks) and £82? In the grand scheme of things, it's not that big an issue, I think. Or am I wrong? If I'd sold my other guitar I'd be on a train down South to try this.

jonny-mosco

Post by jonny-mosco » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:18 pm

I don't understand why it hasn't been snapped up. I've played it a few times and it is a stunning guitar, powerful but not lacking in subtlety.

I have a guitar that is quite similar, otherwise I'd have gone for it myself.

Jonny

Portland Bill

Post by Portland Bill » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:31 am

Kwakkel certainly has a reputation but it seems to me that the CG buying world aren't interested in VFM, they would rather buy an inferior instrument at a vastly inflated price, because it has some "Mojo" associated with a particular maker, I am reminded of Julian Bream's opinion of the first batch of instruments he commissioned from Romanillos, let them get on with it.

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:42 am

Portland Bill wrote:Kwakkel certainly has a reputation but it seems to me that the CG buying world aren't interested in VFM, they would rather buy an inferior instrument at a vastly inflated price, because it has some "Mojo" associated with a particular maker, I am reminded of Julian Bream's opinion of the first batch of instruments he commissioned from Romanillos, let them get on with it.
What's VFM ?

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:25 am

Value For Money

Sérgio Lopes

Post by Sérgio Lopes » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:46 am

This is a lovely instrument that I'd love to own myself, as it looks gorgeous, and it seems indeed great value for money,

However, I often wonder why people ask things like "how can such wonderful instruments be here for weeks/months without being sold?". Are we collectively losing touch with reality? It's not like 3000 quid is available to everybody. It's a very substantial amount of money.

Hell, I recall a conversation I had with a very good luthier who himself admitted he couldn't afford his own instruments!

[edited for spelling]

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:10 am

I do hope someone puts me out of my misery and buys it. I only live 15-20 minutes away and I would love to come and view it. Perhaps if UKsteve would accept my Yu Long Guo Chamber Concert as part payment we could do a deal.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Portland Bill

Post by Portland Bill » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:13 am

There is a guitar that has just come on to the market by one of the most lauded makers and I bet you a pound to a penny that it sells quickly, regardless of the fact that its had a tough life and probably sounds like it.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:24 am

Portland Bill wrote:There is a guitar that has just come on to the market by one of the most lauded makers and I bet you a pound to a penny that it sells quickly, regardless of the fact that its had a tough life and probably sounds like it.
I'd probably agree with you if I knew which guitar you were talking about!! :lol:

Portland Bill

Post by Portland Bill » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:09 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Portland Bill wrote:There is a guitar that has just come on to the market by one of the most lauded makers and I bet you a pound to a penny that it sells quickly, regardless of the fact that its had a tough life and probably sounds like it.
I'd probably agree with you if I knew which guitar you were talking about!! :lol:
I wouldn't be so Ungallant, well at least not sober anyway :lol:

Return to “Archives of past "Classical Guitars for Sale"”