GB £.2995 Bert Kwakkel Merula cedar 2001, London/St. Albans

Rasqeo

Re: GB £.2995 Bert Kwakkel Merula cedar 2001, London/St. Albans

Postby Rasqeo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:16 pm

I think the lack of buyers is a combination of CITES, increasing political/economic uncertainty in the world and just a general feeling of unease about making large investments at the moment.

It almost becomes self-fulfilling because the longer you see good, reasonably priced instruments not selling the less likely you are to buy yourself because you don't want to find yourself in the same situation should you want to sell on again in the future.

The very top names will continue to sell, albeit more slowly than before, because there is less risk in buying these guitars since there will always be buyers out there for them.

Tom

Postby Tom » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:01 am

Rasqeo wrote:I think the lack of buyers is a combination of CITES, increasing political/economic uncertainty in the world and just a general feeling of unease about making large investments at the moment.

It almost becomes self-fulfilling because the longer you see good, reasonably priced instruments not selling the less likely you are to buy yourself because you don't want to find yourself in the same situation should you want to sell on again in the future.

The very top names will continue to sell, albeit more slowly than before, because there is less risk in buying these guitars since there will always be buyers out there for them.

You are absolutely spot on!

For someone looking for a guitar made by tier 2 and below luthier will probably find a good deal now. Those who are buying the tier 1 makers like Romanillos, Wagner... Will probably less impact by the current negative market sentiment. This reflects well in the luxury goods market also.

Sharkbait

Postby Sharkbait » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:59 pm

Sounds beautiful. I wish I were of a good enough standard to do it justice...

Looking at all the guitars on Delcamp's sale site, I feel like a kid in a sweet shop with a pocketful of money but a mouthful of rotten teeth, so drooling but no buying!! :cry:

zupfgeiger

Postby zupfgeiger » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:52 am

If this guitar had 65 cm length and 52 mm width I would buy it right away.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004
Yamaha SLG200S, silent guitar

UKsteve

Postby UKsteve » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:06 pm

zupfgeiger wrote:If this guitar had 65 cm length and 52 mm width I would buy it right away.

TBH the other guitars I have are 65 and 52 (one is 54 I think), and I don't notice any difference when moving between them.

I have to say, my tyres have been well and truly kicked over the last many months. I have endured many, many enquiries (most from outside the UK) with most involving multiple email question s etc. etc. but not one of them resulting in a sale. There are a lot of aspirational window shoppers out there and it's wearing me out if I'm honest. It's a lovely guitar but the used classical market is tough to endure at the moment; this is well under 50% of a new one from Mr. Kwakkel, who's hardly an unknown builder! hey ho.

edcat7

Postby edcat7 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:38 pm

This has been asked before but how easy is it to change the nut (and bridge?) to 52mm or do you think it is not necessary?
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

UKsteve

Postby UKsteve » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:51 pm

edcat7 wrote:This has been asked before but how easy is it to change the nut (and bridge?) to 52mm or do you think it is not necessary?

You probably mean change the string spacing? The neck width is fixed on guitars. It can be reduced by shaving the neck (a bigish job) but not really increased. Changing spacing is easy - get a new nut and / or saddle cut, with the spacing you require.

The original owner was a professional guitarist who found 50mm and 640 a bit easier for him to play, and since it was being built for him, he could specify exactly what he wanted. I find stretches on this guitar a tiny bit easier. I don't notice the nut width much on any of my guitars; they're not like electrics where the nut is far narrower and strings can sometimes get very close to the fretboard edge. 50 vs 52 (or indeed 54) is a small proportional difference.

UKsteve

Postby UKsteve » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:28 pm

This guitar has been SOLD to a very lucky chap who has just taken delivery of a bargain of a pro guitar.

Thanks for all of the nice comments made in this thread about Mr Kwakkel's guitars.

MODS - please archive.

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:46 pm

Congratulations Steve. Glad it got a new home.

Peter

UKsteve

Postby UKsteve » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:46 am

petermc61 wrote:Congratulations Steve. Glad it got a new home.
Peter

Many thanks Peter. As you may know, selling fine guitars in the current economy etc., even when keenly priced, is very difficult.
Perseverance is the key I guess? If the guitar is good, it will move eventually.
I was playing this just this week after fitting a new set of strings for the new owner: It really is a very lovely instrument. Had I not had an "unexpected" purchase last year I would definitely have kept it.

Henny

Postby Henny » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:02 am

Congratulations Steve, I am happy for you and for the new owner of this splendid guitar.

Return to “Archives of past "Classical Guitars for Sale"”