AU $.5250US Dan Kellaway spruce 2015, Sydney AU

Classical Guitars and Lutes for Sale.
This service is intended for the convenience of members who participate in the forum and is restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Ads are accepted only for classical, Renaissance, baroque or flamenco guitars, theorbos, ukuleles or lutes.
Ads for any other type of instrument or equipment will be removed.
Members may only sell their own instruments or instruments they have built themselves.
Members are limited to the sale of one instrument only at any one time, with a maximum value of 15000 euros, though these restrictions are not applied to members who have been registered for at least 6 months, are members of the 060 group, and are known for their frequent helpful contributions to forum discussions.
If you are selling more than one instrument, a separate post for each instrument is required.
Failure to respect these conditions will result in the removal of the ads and in flagrant cases the account of the member may be removed without warning.
Forum rules
Ads are accepted only for classical, Renaissance, baroque or flamenco guitars, theorbos, ukuleles or lutes.
Ads for any other type of instrument (electric, electro-acoustic, etc.) or equipment will be removed.
Members may only sell their own instruments or instruments they have built themselves.
New members may advertise one instrument only at any one time, with a maximum value of $500.
Members of the 020 group may advertise one instrument only at any one time, with a maximum value of $15000.
Members who have made at least 60 posts, who have been registered for at least 6 months and who make frequent helpful contributions to forum discussions, may advertise several instruments at a time, without price limitation.
If you are selling more than one instrument, a separate post for each instrument is required.
Failure to respect these conditions will result in the removal of the ads and in flagrant cases the account of the member may be removed without warning.
Do not give your phone number or your email address except via private message.
Please set out your ad in the following format:
- Type / luthier: (classical, flamenco, lute, baroque, romantic)
- Year of construction:
- Scale length (mm):
- Top:
- Back / Sides:
- Fingerboard / (bridge):
- Sound:
- Condition:
- Price:
- Viewing / trial possible:
- Location (nearest city):

In particular please indicate a starting price as well as a location or locations where it is possible to try out the instrument. In the absence of this information, the moderators will regretfully have to withdraw your ad from the forum. The above template covers the most essential details, but sellers should of course provide further information in their ad on any special features.

Title format for your ad:
COUNTRY price(as 5 characters) Luthier model wood(soundboard) year, City/Town-of-sale
For example:
LK $..200 Yamaha G70A spruce 1969, Colombo
US $.7500 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez cedar 1971, Ashburn, VA
($.7500 = $7500), dots are inserted to bring all prices to 5 characters, allowing the use of an ascending sort by subject. This will display ads in order of country and price. The function to sort in ascending (or descending) order of subject is available at the bottom of the page below the guitar sales listings.
Country codes may be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1
Capital letters are restricted to the initial letters of proper names.

Ads are moved to the archives as soon as the guitar is sold. Ads that have had no response for more than one year will be moved to the archives. A message can be edited by its author for the first 21 days after posting, after which it is necessary to ask a moderator to make any changes.

Members who buy an instrument unseen do so at their own risk and should exercise due caution. For added security, it is advisable to use a licensed online escrow service (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escrow).
petermc61

AU $.5250US Dan Kellaway spruce 2015, Sydney AU

Postby petermc61 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:24 am

Type / luthier: Dan Kellaway Classical
- Year of construction: 2015
- Scale length (mm): 650mm
- Top: Englemann spruce
- Back/Sides: Brazilian walnut
- Neck/Fingerboard: mahogany with ebony fingerboard, 53.5 mm nut width with 42.5mm string spacing at nut and 56mm at saddle.
- Sound: A balanced, sweet guitar with remarkable volume, power and dynamics for a traditional instrument.
- Condition: Excellent, almost mint.
- Price: $5,250 USD
- Viewing: local viewing possible

For sale is a stunning Dan Kellaway spruce top guitar, made in 2015. The top is Englemann spruce of amazing consistency, braced with traditional fan bracing. Dan made his name making fan braced guitars before spending many years working on all-wood lattice instruments. He has returned to traditional bracing and in my view his most recent fan braced instruments are noticeably superior to his lattice instruments. They combine power and dynamics with a very traditional tone, a potent combination. This guitar is almost as loud as his or anybody else's lattice instrument, without any hint of the tonal anomalies that bug so many people about lattice instruments.

The top is matched to a laminated set of back and sides. The laminate is cedar with Brazilian walnut on the inside and the outside. This gives a very stiff back and sides and presumably contributes to the instrument's volume. The top is French polished, but with a light coat applied by spray rather than being rubbed. The intention I understand is to create the thinnest layer of French polish possible. The back and sides are French polished (to bring out the beauty of the wood grain) and then finished over with a hand rubbed nitrocellulose finish. The finish is both tough and beautiful.

The overall condition is excellent, almost mint. No cracks or damage of any note.

Alessi silver tuners, TKL archtop hard wood case.

Action at 12th fret 3.75mm on low E, 3.25mm on high e. The guitar is fitted with a Black Diamond hybrid saddle and a bone saddle is also available. The tieblock uses either a six hole or 12 hole tie depending on your preference.

To get an idea of sound search "Concert classical guitar' which will take you to a dealer in Paris with three videos of a 2014 fan-braced Kellaway. Dan believes the 2015 models improved over that by being more open and more dynamic again with a better first string. It'll give you an idea, though.

Will ship worldwide. Indicative price to do this is about US$250-300 to USA/CAN/Europe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

riffmeister

Re: AU $.5250US Dan Kellaway spruce 2015, Sydney AU

Postby riffmeister » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:56 am

I've played three Kellaway guitars and they were all superb. GLWS, Peter!

Kent

Postby Kent » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:35 pm

Super price for an exceptional classical guitar! All of Peter's guitars are priced "not for profit". He has a severe case guitar acquisition syndrome, and we should all try to help him out.
Peter is in Australia, but I assure you that it would be no different than purchasing a guitar from Chicago to NY. The guitar will arrive in a well packed shipping box within a couple days.

larryguitar

Postby larryguitar » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:57 pm

I can attest to what Kent posted. I've bought two guitars from Peter, both transactions were smooth. Now, he's tempting me with more guitars. I have to stop looking on here!

Walnut is my favorite furniture wood, what is it like as a tone wood?

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:46 pm

Kent, Larry

Thank you for your kind comments, much appreciated. I get my guitars packed professionally for shipping to make sure they arrive in one piece. I am also rather obsessive about making sure the guitar fits snugly in its case with no movement etc.

Larry, the walnut is very beautiful, however I don't think you can talk of it as a 'tonewood'. With this guitar, Dan creates a laminate by using a bit of cedar and gluing sheets of walnut glued front and back to create a three ply piece of material. It's stiff and beautiful but will unlikely sound like either cedar or walnut. Whatever he does I can attest to the fact it sounds damn fine!

Peter

simonm
Amateur luthier

Postby simonm » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:24 pm

Very interesting Instrument. Good luck with the sale of this and the other two

bushweek

Postby bushweek » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:30 pm

I love my Kellaway guitar... Someone is going to get a bargain!

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:42 pm

bushweek wrote:I love my Kellaway guitar... Someone is going to get a bargain!

The only thing better than one Kellaway guitar is two!! :wink:

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:36 am

Price revised to US$5100. Really powerful but sweet guitar!

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:42 am

Kellaway's guitars are beautiful and your's looks exceptional and the price is even better. Someone needs to grab this one quickly!
The Smell of Rosewood!!

rounie

Postby rounie » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:59 am

String Guru Peter,

Great guitar collection, wonder why you are thinning the herd... :(
Let Music Unite All............
Richard Howell No.408 Cedar/Indian-2007

caneti3

Postby caneti3 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:59 am

Peter!
The guitar looks great!
If the video with a similar guitar is this, the sound is great too:
http://www.concert-classical-guitar.com ... fan-braced

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:26 am

rounie wrote:String Guru Peter,

Great guitar collection, wonder why you are thinning the herd... :(

Hi Rounie

Lovely to hear from you again. If you knew how big the herd had got (despite last year's 4-5 guitar thinning) you'd understand!! :lol:

Peter

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:29 am

caneti3 wrote:Peter!
The guitar looks great!
If the video with a similar guitar is this, the sound is great too:
http://www.concert-classical-guitar.com ... fan-braced

Hi caneti3

It would be pretty close to the guitar in that video. Dan told me he had improved the first string power and sustain a little from the guitar in that video, but the overall sound would be quite similar.

Regards
Peter

Justfun

Postby Justfun » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:44 pm

The average Australian has about 5-6 guitars per house hold.

: )

fred
Richard Reynoso, Cypress \ Spruce 2016
Lozano Spruce 2001
Inofuentes 1997

Return to “Classical Guitar for Sale”