HK US$.8800 Antonio Marin Montero spruce 2006, Hong Kong

Classical Guitars and Lutes for Sale.
This service is intended for the convenience of members who participate in the forum and is restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Ads are accepted only for classical, Renaissance, baroque or flamenco guitars, theorbos, ukuleles or lutes.
Ads for any other type of instrument or equipment will be removed.
Members may only sell their own instruments or instruments they have built themselves.
Members are limited to the sale of one instrument only at any one time, with a maximum value of 15000 euros, though these restrictions are not applied to members who have been registered for at least 6 months, are members of the 060 group, and are known for their frequent helpful contributions to forum discussions.
If you are selling more than one instrument, a separate post for each instrument is required.
Failure to respect these conditions will result in the removal of the ads and in flagrant cases the account of the member may be removed without warning.
Forum rules
Ads are accepted only for classical, Renaissance, baroque or flamenco guitars, theorbos, ukuleles or lutes.
Ads for any other type of instrument (electric, electro-acoustic, etc.) or equipment will be removed.
Members may only sell their own instruments or instruments they have built themselves.
New members may advertise one instrument only at any one time, with a maximum value of $500.
Members of the 020 group may advertise one instrument only at any one time, with a maximum value of $15000.
Members who have made at least 60 posts, who have been registered for at least 6 months and who make frequent helpful contributions to forum discussions, may advertise several instruments at a time, without price limitation.
If you are selling more than one instrument, a separate post for each instrument is required.
Failure to respect these conditions will result in the removal of the ads and in flagrant cases the account of the member may be removed without warning.
Do not give your phone number or your email address except via private message.
Please set out your ad in the following format:
- Type / luthier: (classical, flamenco, lute, baroque, romantic)
- Year of construction:
- Scale length (mm):
- Nut width (mm):
- Top:
- Bracing (fan/lattice/other):
- Back / Sides:
- Fingerboard / (bridge):
- Sound:
- Condition:
- Price:
- Viewing / trial possible:
- Location (nearest city):

In particular please indicate a starting price as well as a location or locations where it is possible to try out the instrument. In the absence of this information, the moderators will regretfully have to withdraw your ad from the forum. The above template covers the most essential details, but sellers should of course provide further information in their ad on any special features.

Title format for your ad:
COUNTRY price(as 5 characters) Luthier model wood(soundboard) year, City/Town-of-sale
For example:
LK $..200 Yamaha G70A spruce 1969, Colombo
US $.7500 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez cedar 1971, Ashburn, VA
($.7500 = $7500), dots are inserted to bring all prices to 5 characters, allowing the use of an ascending sort by subject. This will display ads in order of country and price. The function to sort in ascending (or descending) order of subject is available at the bottom of the page below the guitar sales listings.
Country codes may be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1
Capital letters are restricted to the initial letters of proper names.

Ads are moved to the archives as soon as the guitar is sold. Ads that have had no response for more than one year will be moved to the archives. A message can be edited by its author for the first 21 days after posting, after which it is necessary to ask a moderator to make any changes.

Members who buy an instrument unseen do so at their own risk and should exercise due caution. For added security, it is advisable to use a licensed online escrow service (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escrow).
akg

HK US$.8800 Antonio Marin Montero spruce 2006, Hong Kong

Postby akg » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:59 am

Type: Classical
Luthier: Antonio Marin Montero
Year of construction: 2006
Scale length (mm): 650mm
Top: Spruce
Back / Sides: Brazilian Rosewood
Fingerboard / (bridge): Ebony
Sound: See below
Condition: Mint original condition
Price: US$8,800
Viewing / trial possible: Yes
Location (nearest city): Hong Kong

This guitar comes from a private collection and is in as new, mint condition. It was not played at all after it was acquired from Antonio himself. Given the special relationship with Antonio, the top and back wood for the guitar was specially selected together with Antonio (please message me for details).

All these come through in the beautiful tone and sound quality of this special Montero guitar. The treble is very tight/concentrated with full rounded tone and at the same time being particularly sweet with a long ringing sustain. The bass is deep and remains tight even when pushed. There is great reserves of volume and strong projection with wide dynamic range that can be achieved on this Montero guitar. More importantly, the timbre between the strings is equally matched and the tone up to the highest frets are perfectly balanced.

Please message me for more details and pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

petermc61

Re: US $.8800 Antonio Marin Montero spruce 2006, Hong Kong

Postby petermc61 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:01 am

Lovely woods on that guitar. That spruce looks very fine.

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:18 am

Wow! Lovely!
Hauser III 2014!

Tom

Postby Tom » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:17 pm

The BRW is one of the best I have seen in recent year coming out from Montero workshop.

Tony Nugent

Postby Tony Nugent » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:36 pm

Hi,

Beautiful guitar for sure.

Do you have the CITES Permit for the guitar?

Thanks

WoodNString

Postby WoodNString » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:34 pm

Looks great! Is this Marin's Bouchet bracing?

larryguitar

Postby larryguitar » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:16 pm

Nice looking guitar! I love my cedar AMM. Peter, are you tempted to get another one? :-)
Last edited by larryguitar on Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:18 pm

larryguitar wrote:Nice looking guitar! I love me cedar AMM. Peter, are you tempted to get another one? :-)

Nope. I've started saving for the Torres!! :shock: :lol:

chelson

Postby chelson » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:27 am

How to resist such a beautiful guitar? Hope it is very playable as well.

Although its price is really beyond my reach, post to follow this sales, in order to keep my heart beating again and also away from the Kevin Aram in the other, which cannot ship due to BRW.

At least this one I still have the chance to pay a visit personally, to check it out and dream to bring it back. Haha!
Without heart and desire, talent is nothing.

Joe Medina
Luthier

Postby Joe Medina » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:21 am

What type of finish is on the guitar?

akg

Postby akg » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:59 am

WoodNString wrote:Looks great! Is this Marin's Bouchet bracing?

Yes, this has the Bouchet bracing (with some of Marin's own personal adjustments for sure). I was fortunate some years back to be able to compare the Marin with a Bouchet guitar. Probably because of the similarities in bracing and Marin having collaborated with Bouchet before, both guitars had the clear, singing transparent tone and a ringing sustain that kept going and going. That said, the Marin had a more 'spanish' quality to the tone.

akg

Postby akg » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:09 am

chelson wrote:How to resist such a beautiful guitar? Hope it is very playable as well.

Although its price is really beyond my reach, post to follow this sales, in order to keep my heart beating again and also away from the Kevin Aram in the other, which cannot ship due to BRW.

At least this one I still have the chance to pay a visit personally, to check it out and dream to bring it back. Haha!

Hi, playability is very comfortable and responsive to the touch - easy to grip chords, the action for slurs is very responsive and vibrato is very easy to accentuate, if I could use that word. You hear the vibrato coming out of the guitar and this Marin together with the ease of vibrato, always makes me want to hold on and savour the notes.

Would be great for you come over for a visit and try the guitar!

akg

Postby akg » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:11 am

Joe Medina wrote:What type of finish is on the guitar?

It's Marin's own french polish. The french polish is applied to the top, sides and back. He is very experienced at this polish and is extremely painstaking. You can see from the photos how beautiful the french polish is.

Michael.N.

Postby Michael.N. » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:44 am

akg wrote:
Joe Medina wrote:What type of finish is on the guitar?

It's Marin's own french polish. The french polish is applied to the top, sides and back. He is very experienced at this polish and is extremely painstaking. You can see from the photos how beautiful the french polish is.

Some would say that the finish is not flat enough. I really like that effect on the soundboard though. Over time it's probably shrunk somewhat and takes on the grain imprint of the soundboard. It softens the hard glossy effect. Much warmer looking and a nicer effect IMO.
Historicalguitars.

WoodNString

Postby WoodNString » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:23 am

To be accurate, I'm pretty sure Marin outsources his fp. That's not a bad thing.

Return to “Classical Guitar for Sale”