US $.5995 William John Gilbert Cedar 1998 Fresno/Clovis, CA

This section is for the use of fully participating members of the forum.
Forum rules
This section is for the use of fully participating members of the forum.
Ads are accepted only for classical, Renaissance, baroque or flamenco guitars, theorbos, ukuleles or lutes.
Ads for any other type of instrument (electric, electro-acoustic, etc.) or equipment will be removed.
Members may only sell their own instruments or instruments they have built themselves. Business sales from dealers or ads on behalf of other people are not allowed.
New members may advertise one instrument only at any one time, with a maximum value of $500.
Members of the 020 group may advertise one instrument only at any one time, with a maximum value of $15000.
Members who have made at least 60 posts, who have been registered for at least 6 months and who make frequent helpful contributions to forum discussions, may advertise up to 3 instruments at a time, without price limitation.
If you are selling more than one instrument, a separate post for each instrument is required.
The maximum number of ads that may be posted is 3 per year (i.e. in any 12-month period).

Failure to respect these conditions will result in the removal of the ads and in flagrant cases the account of the member may be removed without warning.
Do not give your phone number or your email address except via private message.

Please set out your ad in the following format:
- Type / luthier: (classical, flamenco, lute, baroque, romantic)
- Year of construction:
- Scale length (mm):
- Nut width (mm):
- Top:
- Bracing (fan/lattice/other):
- Back / Sides:
- Fingerboard / (bridge):
- Sound:
- Condition:
- Price:
- Viewing / trial possible:
- Location (nearest city):

In particular please indicate a starting price as well as a location or locations where it is possible to try out the instrument. The above template covers the most essential details, but sellers should of course provide further information in their ad on any special features.

Title format for your ad:
COUNTRY price(as 5 characters) Luthier model wood(soundboard) year, City/Town-of-sale
For example:
LK $..200 Yamaha G70A spruce 1969, Colombo
($..200 = $200), dots are inserted to bring all prices to 5 characters, allowing the use of an ascending sort by subject via the sort menu at the bottom of the page to display ads in order of country and price.
Country codes may be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1
Capital letters are restricted to the initial letters of proper names.

Ads are moved to the archives as soon as the guitar is sold, or when they have had no response for more than one year. A message can be edited by its author for the first 21 days after posting, after which it is necessary to ask a moderator to make any changes.

Please do not denigrate a guitar for sale or the luthier who made it. Moderators will remove such messages. Whether or not the sale should proceed is entirely up to the parties involved.

Members who buy an instrument unseen do so at their own risk and should exercise due caution. For added security, it is advisable to use a licensed online escrow service (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escrow).

The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) means that some materials used in guitars, although formerly allowed, may now require permits or be illegal to sell across national borders, or even locally in some places. It is the responsibility of the buyer and seller to ensure that the sale complies with all applicable laws in their respective countries.
David Schramm
Luthier

US $.5995 William John Gilbert Cedar 1998 Fresno/Clovis, CA

Post by David Schramm » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:31 pm

Classical Guitar/ William John Gilbert

Year of construction: 1998

Scale length (mm): 25.700" BSL 25.750" TSL

Top: Western Red Cedar

Back / Sides: EI Rosewood

Fingerboard / (bridge): Ebody fingerboard, Black dyed English Walnut Bridge

Sound: Very loud! Bright and clear. Great separation. Neutral sound that imparts the players unique voice to the instrument.

Condition: Used, minor playing wear on the top.

Viewing / trial possible: Buyer may have a 48 trial and is responsible for all shipping and insurance costs. Buyer is also responsible for any damage to the instrument. No refund if instrument has been returned with any damage what so ever. Especially nail marks to the top.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by David Schramm on Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Schramm

Jeffrey Chan
Student of the online lessons

Re: US $10777 William John Gilbert Cedar 1998 Fresno/Clovis, CA

Post by Jeffrey Chan » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:44 pm

Beautiful guitar. It's always been a dream of mine to play one of these. I met both Bill/John a while back when I was getting some other guitar repair work done and was very impressed with their dedication and quality.
2006 Hill Signature Double Top Standup #2469

PREVIOUS
2015 Hippner Torres Cedar #813
2002 Dunn Double Top Cedar #12
Anonymous Cedar
Takamine EG128SC
2007 Redman Spruce, Zebrawood
2008 Loriente Marieta, Spruce
1993 Esteve 1GR9C Cedar
Yamaha CG101, Spruce

David Schramm
Luthier

Re: US $10777 William John Gilbert Cedar 1998 Fresno/Clovis, CA

Post by David Schramm » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:32 am

Here is your chance to own one. :-)
David Schramm

David Schramm
Luthier

Re: US $.7977 William John Gilbert Cedar 1998 Fresno/Clovis, CA

Post by David Schramm » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:24 am

New price
David Schramm

David Schramm
Luthier

Re: US $.5995 William John Gilbert Cedar 1998 Fresno/Clovis, CA

Post by David Schramm » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:24 am

Here is my best price $5995.
David Schramm

Jack Douglas

Re: US $.7977 William John Gilbert Cedar 1998 Fresno/Clovis, CA

Post by Jack Douglas » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:19 am

David,
Beautiful guitar! Is this the father or son's guitar?
Thanks.
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:46 pm

David Schramm wrote:Here is my best price $5995.
Hi David,
My question may not have been clear. Is the guitar for sale built by the deceased John Gilbert or his son who is continuing in his father's footsteps? Sorry I couldn't figure out the scale length from the two indicated in the description.
Thanks again,
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:48 pm

Jack

The scale length is about 653mm. The second figure I am pretty sure just tells you there is a little over one mm saddle compensation ie nut to saddle about 654mm.

Peter

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:02 pm

petermc61 wrote:Jack

The scale length is about 653mm. The second figure I am pretty sure just tells you there is a little over one mm saddle compensation ie nut to saddle about 654mm.

Peter
Thanks, Peter. Now I understand!
Hauser III 2014!

David Schramm
Luthier

Post by David Schramm » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:28 am

Jack,
BSL=Basic Scale Length and TSL=Total String Length. TSL effects compensation and BSL effects play-ability.
The Gilbert's have been using a standard scale length BSL of 25.700" plus 0.050" compensation since the early 1980's. Compensation is not part of the scale length but part of the total string length. Gilbert's do not work in millimeters but in decimal inches. 652.78mm is the scale length in mm add 1.27mm for the total string length (which has nothing to do with the scale length play-ability). If you play a 650mm you will notice no difference. A 650 is only 1.39mm shorter than a 652.78. (Remember Nut to XII is 325 for a 650 and Nut to XII is 326.39) Spread over 12 frets the extra length is a 0.12mm from fret to fret wider. That is about the thickness of two sheets of printer paper or two human hairs.

Since about 1986 Bill Gilbert has been building along side his dad and has been signing the labels. They are exactly the same as the ones John built. Especially this one, which is why I chose it. Bill was not allowed to build if he could not equal or surpass his dad's guitars. This one has the feel of the early 1980's Gilbert's that I love.

I have played and examined many Gilbert's and have drawn many plans. This one is the same fan bracing as the ones in the mid to late 1980's. In fact there is a member here who has one that was built for David Russell around 1987(?) and this has the same fan bracing.
David Schramm

caneti3

Post by caneti3 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:24 am

Wonderful guitar!

Do you have any clip track?

Thanks!!

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:32 pm

David Schramm wrote:Jack,
BSL=Basic Scale Length and TSL=Total String Length. TSL effects compensation and BSL effects play-ability.
The Gilbert's have been using a standard scale length BSL of 25.700" plus 0.050" compensation since the early 1980's. Compensation is not part of the scale length but part of the total string length. Gilbert's do not work in millimeters but in decimal inches. 652.78mm is the scale length in mm add 1.27mm for the total string length (which has nothing to do with the scale length play-ability). If you play a 650mm you will notice no difference. A 650 is only 1.39mm shorter than a 652.78. (Remember Nut to XII is 325 for a 650 and Nut to XII is 326.39) Spread over 12 frets the extra length is a 0.12mm from fret to fret wider. That is about the thickness of two sheets of printer paper or two human hairs.

Since about 1986 Bill Gilbert has been building along side his dad and has been signing the labels. They are exactly the same as the ones John built. Especially this one, which is why I chose it. Bill was not allowed to build if he could not equal or surpass his dad's guitars. This one has the feel of the early 1980's Gilbert's that I love.

I have played and examined many Gilbert's and have drawn many plans. This one is the same fan bracing as the ones in the mid to late 1980's. In fact there is a member here who has one that was built for David Russell around 1987(?) and this has the same fan bracing.
David,
Thank you. I attended the Yale Guitar weekend back in the 90's when 'John' was honored by Ben Verdery. All the featured performers used their own John Gilbert in their performances. It was my first exposure to Raphaella Schmitts (sp.?).
I was just curious about the guitar you offer. Thanks for the very thorough explanation.
I have gotten to know Andrea Tacchi and his son Giovanni and see in them the same father son working relationship.
Good luck with the sale.
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

David Schramm
Luthier

Post by David Schramm » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:21 pm

caneti3 wrote:Wonderful guitar!

Do you have any clip track?

Thanks!!
Not yet.
David Schramm

brian

Post by brian » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:19 am

wow!!! if only I could generate this amount
of cash, I'd be playing this tomorrow.
a gilbert (father or son, and the son had to be
exceptional to pass muster) was a dream for
so long. and now it's here for $6k and I can't do it. someone buy this please and put me out
of my misery.
********this is a GREAT deal*******
if at first you don't succeed try again.
then quit.
there's no use being a damn fool about it.
-w.c. fields

Return to “Classical Guitar for Sale”