DE €.2350 Antonio Duran spruce 1978, Frankfurt area.

This section is for the use of fully participating members of the forum.
Forum rules
This section is for the use of fully participating members of the forum.
Ads are accepted only for classical, Renaissance, baroque or flamenco guitars, theorbos, ukuleles or lutes.
Ads for any other type of instrument (electric, electro-acoustic, etc.) or equipment will be removed.
Members may only sell their own instruments or instruments they have built themselves. Business sales from dealers or ads on behalf of other people are not allowed.
New members may advertise one instrument only at any one time, with a maximum value of $500.
Members of the 020 group may advertise one instrument only at any one time, with a maximum value of $15000.
Members who have made at least 60 posts, who have been registered for at least 6 months and who make frequent helpful contributions to forum discussions, may advertise up to 3 instruments at a time, without price limitation.
If you are selling more than one instrument, a separate post for each instrument is required.
The maximum number of ads that may be posted is 3 per year (i.e. in any 12-month period).

Failure to respect these conditions will result in the removal of the ads and in flagrant cases the account of the member may be removed without warning.
Do not give your phone number or your email address except via private message.

Please set out your ad in the following format:
- Type / luthier: (classical, flamenco, lute, baroque, romantic)
- Year of construction:
- Scale length (mm):
- Nut width (mm):
- Top:
- Bracing (fan/lattice/other):
- Back / Sides:
- Fingerboard / (bridge):
- Sound:
- Condition:
- Price:
- Viewing / trial possible:
- Location (nearest city):

In particular please indicate a starting price as well as a location or locations where it is possible to try out the instrument. The above template covers the most essential details, but sellers should of course provide further information in their ad on any special features.

Title format for your ad:
COUNTRY price(as 5 characters) Luthier model wood(soundboard) year, City/Town-of-sale
For example:
LK $..200 Yamaha G70A spruce 1969, Colombo
($..200 = $200), dots are inserted to bring all prices to 5 characters, allowing the use of an ascending sort by subject via the sort menu at the bottom of the page to display ads in order of country and price.
Country codes may be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1
Capital letters are restricted to the initial letters of proper names.

Ads are moved to the archives as soon as the guitar is sold, or when they have had no response for more than one year. A message can be edited by its author for the first 21 days after posting, after which it is necessary to ask a moderator to make any changes.

Please do not denigrate a guitar for sale or the luthier who made it. Moderators will remove such messages. Whether or not the sale should proceed is entirely up to the parties involved.

Members who buy an instrument unseen do so at their own risk and should exercise due caution. For added security, it is advisable to use a licensed online escrow service (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escrow).

The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) means that some materials used in guitars, although formerly allowed, may now require permits or be illegal to sell across national borders, or even locally in some places. It is the responsibility of the buyer and seller to ensure that the sale complies with all applicable laws in their respective countries.
simonm
Amateur luthier

DE €.2350 Antonio Duran spruce 1978, Frankfurt area.

Post by simonm » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:35 pm

EU only.

Antonio Duran 1978.

Spruce/Indian Rosewood

Scale 663mm
Body length 485mm
Upper bout 282mm
Lower bout 372mm
Waist 240mm
Depth at heel: 98mm
Depth at end block: 107mm
Soundhole 91mm

Nut 54mm
String spacing
Nut 45mmm
12th fret 51.5mm
Bridge 58mm

Finish: Shellac as far as I know.
(no crackling that would indicate nitro).

I got this 1978 Duran with the intention of turning it over quickly and going through a number of guitars over a period of time in order to help develop my own building. Somehow I never got round to doing it and it has been sitting around for a long time.

The label is signed by Duran. Who the actual luthier was is another question and I do not know the answer.
(There is some info about this in a previous Duran thread:viewtopic.php?f=76&t=74353 which in turn links to this thread viewtopic.php?f=11&t=71313 which has a lot of info. )

Condition.

The top shows that it was "well loved" - it has plenty of battle scars or "character" if you prefer. The top has certainly suffered at least one crack due to a sudden drop in humidity a few winters back in my place. However the quite long crack closed up so tight on rehydration that I cannot find it even though I know where it was. Apart from rehydration I did not take any further action. There are areas on the top where it looks like and earlier owner may have use CA to fill in worn areas on the top. The centre seam looks to have been re-glued at some time. It is quite possible that there may have been repairs over the the guitar's lifespan. (There is a thread here about the repain/not repair dilemma viewtopic.php?f=11&t=78634)

The case, which may be original still has a smell of smoke although it has diminished over the years I have had it. I can't say much about the tuners except that they work ok but they certainly don't look like a high end product.

Sound

I am poor at describing sound - when my teacher played it he said it was "typical Spanish" with strong basses. Not his favorite type of guitar but he certainly made it sound good. I find the sound attractive and I find it very playable even with 663 scale - in fact I am pretty much unaware of the scale when i play it. I think the string spacing and the neck profile contributes to the playability. The neck is what I would describe as being relatively flat. Not sure what the "official" description would be.

I was planning to drop it off to a professional to give it a once over and do any that was required but so far I have not gotten round to it, so for the moment I am offering it "as is". I am moving in a few months and want to get rid of stuff in the meantime if possible.

To have a look at it and try it out, please PM to see how we might arrange something.

Due to the recent Cites changes I don't want to deal with export out of the EU. Within the EU from Germany there should be no issue unless your country has specific import requirements.

label.jpg
view_1.jpg
top.jpg
back.jpg
side.jpg
heel.jpg
headstock.jpg
tuners.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Classical Guitar for Sale”