Withdrawn

Messages that are no longer relevant because their authors or moderators have removed text or attachments.
Forum rules
Messages that are no longer relevant because their authors or moderators have removed text or attachments.
GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Withdrawn

Post by GeoffB » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:44 am

A new format for the titles of sales ads is about to be introduced. Titles will start with a country digraph and a price padded out to 5 digits, to enable sorting by country and price. Full guidance on this will be provided in the next few days when the details are finalized. In the meantime you may notice some titles have already be changed as part of a trial. All will be explained soon!

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

David_Norton

Re: Changes to title format

Post by David_Norton » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:24 am

Comment: the "leading zeros" makes it very difficult to read, e.g. US 00350$ for the Ramirez Rondella, although it may serve well for sorting purposes.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Vlad Kosulin

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:28 am

Sorting by price without country would be nice as well, but same number in USD, GBP, CAD, and EUR means substantially different amount of money.
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:53 am

Thanks for your concerns and suggestions guys! This is a work-in-progress, so we'll be tweaking it over the next few days.

This announcement might seem a bit premature, but we noticed that Mr. Delcamp had already started testing out the changes on a few of the threads. Geoff felt that he'd better post something so the members wouldn't be totally confused. :wink:

Alan

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:02 pm

David_Norton wrote:Comment: the "leading zeros" makes it very difficult to read, e.g. US 00350$ for the Ramirez Rondella
Agreed. And the dollar sign at the end.

jebejava

Post by jebejava » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:29 am

This must be my lucky day!

A Kohno 1964 for USD 47 cents, an Anselmo Solar Gonzalez for 75 cents, a Prenkert for 60 cents ....

Heck, I'll take them all and pay the sellers double for shipping!!

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:47 am

:lol: This is phase two of M. Delcamp's experiment, using dots instead of leading spaces, to see whether it improves readability. Evidently it still isn't perfect, but should be clear enough once the amended rules are posted, if we go for this option.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:26 am

jebejava wrote:This must be my lucky day! A Kohno 1964 for USD 47 cents.....
Please don't short change me, that's 47.5 cents!! :shock:

And shipping costs will be in the neighborhood of 4800 dollars. :twisted:

SeanWinkler

Post by SeanWinkler » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:29 am

GeoffB wrote:A new format for the titles of sales ads is about to be introduced. Titles will start with a country digraph and a price padded out to 5 digits, to enable sorting by country and price. Full guidance on this will be provided in the next few days when the details are finalized. In the meantime you may notice some titles have already be changed as part of a trial. All will be explained soon!

Geoff
I'm not sure I understand the rationale for changing the format. Do you want to add drop-down sorting options? Seems like the cleanest way to do this would be to construct a form for posting these listings, with fields for country, price, etc. and a free-text field for the description. Your DB table would then match the desired functionality, rather than trying to impose functionality on a sub-optimal schema.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:14 pm

Drop down sorting options already exist. If you look at the bottom of the page, you see them starting with "Display posts from previous: ..."

M. Delcamp wants to make use of those options. Selecting "Subject" and "Ascending" from the second and third drop down lists would sort ads primarily by country, and secondarily by price, assuming the proposed format is adopted.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

SeanWinkler

Post by SeanWinkler » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:16 am

Huh--look at that. I've been on Delcamp for over 3 years and I have never noticed the sort boxes. I'm so conditioned to look for these at the top of a page that they have never registered with me.

Anyway, I can see the reasoning for needing a format like that if someone wants to sort by country first and then price. However, the systems analyst in me wonders if there is really a demand for that functionality. Is this something people are asking for?
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:59 am

It's something that M. Delcamp is asking for.

And you're not alone, our impression is that very few members notice the sort boxes. They can be very useful in the "Our recordings" forums especially, for finding all the works of a particular composer, sorted by opus number, or all the recordings by a particular member, etc.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:33 am

The rules have now been updated (see above in red). Please reread them if you post ads here, and note in particular the new title format. Existing ads will be amended by moderators over the next day or so.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

Vlad Kosulin

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:28 am

Not about the title, but why would not also include tuners and # of frets (19, 20, short scale may even have less)?
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:54 am

Interesting suggestion, Vlad. Certainly they could be useful things for sellers to mention, or for buyers to ask about.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

Return to “Archives - link maintenance”