Books on Studies and Instruction for Classical Guitar

Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Forum rules
Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
goldenoldie

Re: Books on Studies and Instruction for Classical Guitar

Post by goldenoldie » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:34 pm

Bob Scott wrote:I've looked through Noad's Solo Guitar Playing Vol. 1, Parkening Method Vol. 1, and Pumping Nylon (the old version). Noad and Parkening don't seem to have as much indication of which right-hand finger to use as Pumping Nylon, which itself has some indications but not always. Perhaps using one, two, or all three of these in combination with something else will get me going. I may decide to get a teacher, and I've seen that suggestion a lot in perusing the forum. But in the meantime, can anyone suggest which book or books I should look into or how to proceed with some self-teaching? Thanks.

Bob
Hi Bob,

If you work through Noad, you'll get a sense of which fingers to use. Apart from the intuitive combinations (i m i m, p i m i, etc.) that are based on alternating fingers, avoiding the repeated use of a finger and patterns that reflect the layout of the strings, you may find 'The Bible of Classical Guitar Technique' by Hubert Kappel and 'The Art of Classical Guitar Playing' by Charles Duncan to be helpful. The former especially has very good exercises in many patterns.

Good luck!

Robin

Post by Robin » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:17 pm

goldenoldie wrote:
Bob Scott wrote:I've looked through Noad's Solo Guitar Playing Vol. 1, Parkening Method Vol. 1, and Pumping Nylon (the old version). Noad and Parkening don't seem to have as much indication of which right-hand finger to use as Pumping Nylon, which itself has some indications but not always. Perhaps using one, two, or all three of these in combination with something else will get me going. I may decide to get a teacher, and I've seen that suggestion a lot in perusing the forum. But in the meantime, can anyone suggest which book or books I should look into or how to proceed with some self-teaching? Thanks.

Bob
Hi Bob,

If you work through Noad, you'll get a sense of which fingers to use. Apart from the intuitive combinations (i m i m, p i m i, etc.) that are based on alternating fingers, avoiding the repeated use of a finger and patterns that reflect the layout of the strings, you may find 'The Bible of Classical Guitar Technique' by Hubert Kappel and 'The Art of Classical Guitar Playing' by Charles Duncan to be helpful. The former especially has very good exercises in many patterns.

Good luck!
Bob Scott wrote in his original post that he had been playing primarily rock style with a smattering of finger style for 40 years. I'm not sure if the right hand facility required by classical guitar repertoire would be intuitive to someone with this background. Bob, since your left hand is likely much more developed than your classical right hand, it would be beneficial for you to have clear direction in developing your right hand technique with good examples to later apply to repertoire.

One method that I don't see listed here is a book written by forum member Larry McDonald, "The Conservatory Tutor for Guitar, Vol. 1 & 2". The author lays out a clear pathway to right hand development and the organization of fingerings. The text can be found on the author's website. The exact address is listed on his Delcamp member's profile.

Below is a link to an essay from Dr. McDonald's website titled "Right Hand Conventions". The essay lays out some general guidelines to making right hand fingering choices in your repertoire: http://www.larrymcdonaldguitar.com/pdfs ... ed2014.pdf

Best,

Robin
So much music, so little time.

goldenoldie

Post by goldenoldie » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:50 pm

Wow, Robin, that's a very useful essay!

Robin

Post by Robin » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:19 pm

goldenoldie wrote:Wow, Robin, that's a very useful essay!
Yes, it is a valuable essay. Please let Dr. McDonald know you appreciate it.

Robin
So much music, so little time.

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:13 am

Wow, thank you for the wonderful list of books! Definitely I will be bookmarking this post!

unicornio

Post by unicornio » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:28 pm

great thread thx. Larry McDonalds books look very good too, thx for the recommendation, bookmarked his website.

unicornio

Post by unicornio » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:38 am

I am only using small screen device mostly, so D01 etc would need printing for personal use, the old eyes get tired these days. Also to be honest reading, books, and music studies, I really prefer sitting with a paperbook, acoustic, and no electronics...

I am beginning to learn to read notation, the main book will be the spiralbound Sagreras. It came today in the mail, very nice.

One other book came today also which I would like to share about, VIVA LA GUITARRA by Antonio J Arizaga...

I took a chance with this book, as it only had one review at Amazon. Yesterday had doubts, why did I buy? Waste of savings? etc. Well, doubts removed. Being pretty much beginner, there was a need for chord diagrams (a little different than say country western open chords), simple theory, exercises, some nice songs, and classical finger style techniques...

Viva La Guitarra is a top little book, included within is a nice mix of all the necessities for self teaching, solo exercises, a mix of latin and classical, duets for a teacher, and also small ensembles for the aspiring gathering...

Roberto Aussel, Atahualpa Yupanqi just to name a few of classic latin american styles is my favorite music, in the heart, Silvio Rodriguez too ofcourse, the beauty of lyrics etc etc...its so soulful
and special. Roberto, I found out about him at our forum here, just recently...oh my, he is wonderful.

Anyone who loves latin folk classical kinda thing, and is a beginner, have a look at this book. At the end of the book is even a simple selection of the classical standards often discussed in this forum.

To wind it up, I am glad this book is in the music shelf, this one will get worn out. Worn out, tattered, and ragged completely, just like the old folk cancionero I dream to be lolo...

Viva La Guitarra is English/Spanish edition, so it is really handy for learning dual language. It also has standard note/chord names face egbdf and mi fa sol etc. Handy little book. The included chord chart is unique and foundational for this style.

cu.

goldenoldie

Post by goldenoldie » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:46 pm

Robin wrote:
goldenoldie wrote:Wow, Robin, that's a very useful essay!
Yes, it is a valuable essay. Please let Dr. McDonald know you appreciate it.

Robin
I just did, Robin!

Return to “Reference Library”