Guitarists: Maximize your sight reading skills

Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Forum rules
Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
bergmann

Guitarists: Maximize your sight reading skills

Postby bergmann » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:52 pm

Eric Lemieux, Canadian composer and guitarist, tells us how he maintains seven hours of concert repertoire practicing only two hours a day.
http://www.bergmannedition.com/guitaris ... ng-skills/

Kirkland Gavin
Student of the online lessons

Re: Guitarists: Maximize your sight reading skills

Postby Kirkland Gavin » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:11 am

thank you for the cool site awesome thanks

guitarrista

Postby guitarrista » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:10 pm

thank you!
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

ashworth

Postby ashworth » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:18 pm

Excellent suggestions!
- Donnie

segobreawill

Postby segobreawill » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:35 pm

Thank you for the link to the article on sight-reading, it was valuable with information and tips.

I really liked the 90:10 ratio advice of keeping one's attention 90% on the musical score and 10% on the guitar neck. This cannot be underestimated and takes much work before one can actually do it properly and within the prescribed ratio that the article's author Eric Lemieux suggests.

But of paramount importance was the advice of devoting 5 minutes at the beginning of one's practice session to sight-reading, as well as another 5 minutes at the end of that session. It may seem like little, but it takes discipline and dedication to do on a regular basis.

Moonlighting2610

Postby Moonlighting2610 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:46 am

This one is really valuable! Many thanks for the cool website

bert

Postby bert » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:36 am

Interesting article. I only wonder about the first paragraph;
Let’s face it: the guitar is not an easy instrument when it comes to mastering sight-reading. If we compare the reading abilities of guitarists to those of other instrumentalists, such as violinists or keyboardists, guitarists are, generally speaking, poor readers.

If the guitar is not an easy instrument to master sight-reading, then are we poor readers or do we just have difficult scores?

edcat7

Postby edcat7 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:35 am

bergmann wrote:Eric Lemieux, Canadian composer and guitarist, tells us how he maintains seven hours of concert repertoire practicing only two hours a day.
http://www.bergmannedition.com/guitaris ... ng-skills/

Good article, saved for future reference.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

AndreiKrylov

Postby AndreiKrylov » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:58 pm

10% on neck?
How is it when you read score?
When I do that my eyes 100% on score...
I do not need eyes on neck at all.
As far as repertoire? 90-10 that's OK.
- guitar is not an easy instrument to master sight-reading?
Not true. As difficult as any other instrument. We just need to read more and more, instead of only learning stuff by heart. Read - read - read - it should be as easy as to read books :)
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

JohnB

Postby JohnB » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:43 pm

The article makes good points. But a quibble a little about:

Over the years, and with experience, readers may develop the ability to look ahead a few notes, or even a full measure, as they read, giving them much more freedom, control and mastery of expression as they perform the written score.

IMO reading ahead, even if only a few notes, is one of the basic skills that is essential to develop for good sight reading. That is, you look at the music a few notes ahead, not at the note you are playing at the time.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

2handband

Postby 2handband » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:35 pm

I can get on board with his suggestions for improving sight reading, sure. But reading onstage? A music stand between the performer and the audience? Maybe it's because I'm crossing over from the world of popular music, but to me a music stand onstage == too damn lazy to memorize.

AndreiKrylov

Postby AndreiKrylov » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:19 pm

2handband wrote:I can get on board with his suggestions for improving sight reading, sure. But reading onstage? A music stand between the performer and the audience? Maybe it's because I'm crossing over from the world of popular music, but to me a music stand onstage == too damn lazy to memorize.

why not?
what is the performance of the Music, if the main thing not how Music sounds, but how performer looks ... if is he/she "sexy" enough? Beautiful? Young?
Oh yes - if he/she is old and not looking good (tired, maybe sick etc) - then he/she should not perform at all?
Yes, it is good to be able to memorize! Yes, it is good to be able to play from score!
As long as people listen the Music, sound, itself - isn't it?
Show? - OK , but it has nothing to do with the sound itself. Nothing to do with Music. One could have nice show with very poor Music. It is actually how pop-music operates - nice show, primitive music. Yes people buy it, because majority of people do not really for Music itself, it is just a few... who will listen Music itself.
Richter was against memorization - was he "too damn lazy to memorize" ??? What a nonsense... sorry...
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

2handband

Postby 2handband » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:33 pm

AndreiKrylov wrote:
2handband wrote:I can get on board with his suggestions for improving sight reading, sure. But reading onstage? A music stand between the performer and the audience? Maybe it's because I'm crossing over from the world of popular music, but to me a music stand onstage == too damn lazy to memorize.

why not?
what is the performance of the Music, if the main thing not how Music sounds, but how performer looks ... if is he/she "sexy" enough? Beautiful? Young?
Oh yes - if he/she is old and not looking good (tired, maybe sick etc) - then he/she should not perform at all?
Yes, it is good to be able to memorize! Yes, it is good to be able to play from score!
As long as people listen the Music, sound, itself - isn't it?
Show? - OK , but it has nothing to do with the sound itself. Nothing to do with Music. One could have nice show with very poor Music. It is actually how pop-music operates - nice show, primitive music. Yes people buy it, because majority of people do not really for Music itself, it is just a few... who will listen Music itself.
Richter was against memorization - was he "too damn lazy to memorize" ??? What a nonsense... sorry...

If it isn't memorized, you don't REALLY know it. If you're having to refer to the score, you haven't connected to the music on the deepest possible level.

As for the other... yes, presentation matters. When was the last time you went to a CG recital and the guitar player had ripped jeans and beer stains on his shirt? Besides, think of the position of the music stand. It's between you and the audience! How can you really connect with them that way? Ideally your eyes should be on the crowd, not your score.

AndreiKrylov

Postby AndreiKrylov » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:51 pm

Why my eyes should be on crowd?
If I play Music - I care about Music, not crowd.
I do not bother if I am connecting or not.
Music itself could connect, or not.
Someone who want to please crowd may not produce Music.
Music and Look are two different things.
Yes - it is nice to have a good look - but is it really about Music?

Memorization is good skill to have, but not necessity to play any piece of Music. It is not important at all - memorized or not - as long as it played with Power, Passion and Spirit!

Maybe that is one of the reason why sales and listens of the "classical" music falling .. - because Music industry overwhelmingly oriented on a kind of the "young, beauty contest winner/sportsmen s" kind musicians who look and behave nice on stage (who cares if they could deeply interpret or create their own Music?) - another reason that musician maybe became very disconnected with Music itself, because majority will play everything according to the rules and ways of their Teachers as many others, therefore it will make Music not coming from inside of them, but more like imposed on them...so they do not believe in Music themselves and this way do not transport it's power on listeners..

By the way, again - I am not really "against memorization" ... but I am against an idea that memorization is "only way" to make Music sounds beautiful... that's all... :)

Return to “Reference Library”