Anyone curious about symmetric chord cycles and Jazz chords explained in CG notation.

Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Forum rules
Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Lockie

Anyone curious about symmetric chord cycles and Jazz chords explained in CG notation.

Post by Lockie » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:53 pm

Hi

I am a lapsed CG reader/player and have recently found my faith again.

If I can explain, having played various forms of music on and off through my life, I discovered that writing for example: Jazz chord progressions in CG notation
( Db7b5 or bll7b5 "C" is the Tonic or "l" chord ) , with the chord name and the tonic number position of the key, it has helped me with my score reading skills.

I intend to post various collections of well-known chord progressions and custom symmetric Sequences. When this material is played as written, no fingerings included, this really makes one look at the fretboard and score.

Rythms and tempo are up to players imagination! All the chord charts are in C, so it is up to you to transpose. I would suggest having a look at the stuff I posted about parallel Scales.

Regards

Lockie

Lockie

Re: Anyone curious about symmetric chord cycles and Jazz chords explained in CG notation.

Post by Lockie » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:58 pm

Hi

Here is an introduction chart to R357 chords of C Major:

Diatonic Chords and Passing Chord Examples.jpg
All chords are in suggested root position examples. Please feel free to invert,
transpose and develop your own technique.

Regards

Lockie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Adrian Allan

Re: Anyone curious about symmetric chord cycles and Jazz chords explained in CG notation.

Post by Adrian Allan » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:08 pm

This is of great interest to me - please post more.

It reminds me of Jack Duarte's legendary series in BMG Magazine "Harmony for Guitarists" - anyone remember it? It ran forever.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Lockie

Post by Lockie » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:59 am

Hi

Thanks for the interest shown Adrian.
Please let me know if you spot any errors etc.
I am going to introduce the sequences gently at first.

Here Goes no 1.

Basic Chords 1.jpg
Please note **** Each chord is played for 4 beats at first,
then 3 beats, 2 beats and finally 1 beat.

Practice the chords with straight rhythm at first and
when comfortable try to swing the changes.

Regards

Lockie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lockie

Post by Lockie » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:52 am

Hi

I have included a revised Basic Chord Chart 1( 5 separate 8 bar sequences ) with guitar, jazz, CG chord spellings and my understanding of figured bass for the relevant chords.

Basic Chords 1.gif
If someone could clarify my figured Bass interpretations, to confirm or guide I would really appreciate.

More to follow.

Regards

Lockie

Lockie

Post by Lockie » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:08 pm

Hi

Here is another basic set of chord progressions. Some of them involve pedal etc.

Basic Chords 2.gif
Regards

Lockie

Lockie

Post by Lockie » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:15 pm

Hi

Two Chord progressions that begin on a ll7 chord.

Tunes 2 which_begin_on_a_ll7_chord.gif
Tunes 1 which_begin_on_a_ll7_chord.gif

Regards

Lockie

Lockie

Post by Lockie » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi

Here is a Collection of Major, Minor, Dominant(7th),Diminish and Augmented in 2 different chord forms:

Collection of Major, Minor, Dominant(7th),Diminish and Augmented in 2 chord forms.gif
Regards

Lockie

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:04 pm

What do you mean by Classical Guitar Notation? Looks like normal notation to me - nothing particularly classical-guitar related.

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:02 pm

Interesting and timely for me in that chord identification is not my strong suit. Currently I'm learning/analyzing Villa-Lobos Schottish Choro, and this helps and confirms some of my efforts.
But I have the feeling there is something that I'm missing in how your are organizing and presenting the collection. This reminds me a bit of a book by Ted Greene ...
Steve

Lockie

Post by Lockie » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:18 pm

Hi

Thanks for the interest if I can help clarify or expand I'm only ready and willing.

This is my understanding of how chords are named and structured. The classical reference, as one may be aware most jazz chord lead sheets have little or no notation. My intention was to share the little I have learned and re educate myself to read music again. Also it may be a help for players to learn chord shapes without using diagrams. My apologies if I have misled or confused anyone.

I think it might make sense if one was to read all the posts.

There is more to follow in next series of posts. I should point out Mickey Baker books etc wet my thirst for all music and enticed me in to the CG world.

Regards

Lockie

Lockie

Post by Lockie » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:36 pm

Hi

This collection of exercises, (as there are some big finger stretches), should be practiced slowly at first. To avoid any soft tissue damage, I would recommend starting higher up the neck, and after working out the various chord forms, proceed at your own pace. It is imperative that the guitar is held in the proper Classical Guitar manner, so as to achieve the finger stretches with any ease. This of course is my preference and opinion.

The purpose of this exercise is to highlight that every Major 7th chord can be played without the need of excessive position changes. If practiced carefully, a player can quickly find any chord without looking at the fret board. The chords should be practiced up and down the neck.

I must emphasize these examples are not aimed at chord melody playing but rather at chord clarity, reading, finger positions and proficiency.

Symetric intervals Major 4ths, Minor 3rds and Major 2nds.gif
Regards

Lockie

Return to “Reference Library”