Abel Carlevaro techniques in self-study for retraining

Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Forum rules
Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Patona

Abel Carlevaro techniques in self-study for retraining

Post by Patona » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:52 pm

After long play the classical guitar, I must retrain to another technique.Focale Dystonia forced me to that circumstance. Month over month I`ve tried different techniques with variable succsess. Only the Abel Carlevaro technique with plant, play and relax brings stabil results. I`ve learnd this only over videos from Renato Bellucci and Rafael Elizondo.

Now I would go deeper in the theorie of Abel Carlevaro. I`ve buyed the guitar school from Carlevaro "School of guitar". Maybe here are also members with background to Carlevaro and his books. Unfortunly I must learn without a teacher. I`ve found in my town and in the circumfence no teacher who is familiar with this techniques. My question is: Can I learn the Carlevaro techniques in self-study? I know, a look from outside is even better.
Boguslav Teryks Doubletop. spruce-cedar
Hanika 1A/PF, spruce
Ramirez 1a, 1972, cedar

mscman45

Re: Abel Carlevaro techniques in self-study for retraining

Post by mscman45 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:53 pm

Hi! I am sorry to hear that you have an injury that affects your guitar performing. If you haven't already, I strongly advise you to find the best sports medicine doctor or one who is familiar with repetitive stress injury or the types of injuries that musicians most often incur and get their diagnosis and opinion before proceeding in rebuilding your guitar technique.

You definitely can learn the Carlevaro technique as once you start moving your fingers with his concepts in mind you'll get the idea because it feels better to play the guitar in the way Carlevaro suggests- it is very intuitive. I went to the University of Arizona where I studied guitar with Prof. Thomas Patterson who had actually studied with Carlevaro and so I have spent a lot of time learning the different exercises in Carlevaro's books for the left and right hands. They work.

YouTube video Maestro Carlevaro goes into quite some detail explaining his thoughts about positioning the guitar and the various functions of the left and right hands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XbUkcjuMds

Best Wishes,

mscman45

Patona

Re: Abel Carlevaro techniques in self-study for retraining

Post by Patona » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:03 pm

Hello mscman45,

thanks for your response. I`am in a special musician ambulance in my town. But you know, doctors search only for medicine backgrounds. I think my way is to practice neuronal plasticity with a new technique. I`ve tried a lot of other techniques before, but Carlevaro brings the progress to me. Thanks for the video. I believe there is a lot of stuff for me.
Boguslav Teryks Doubletop. spruce-cedar
Hanika 1A/PF, spruce
Ramirez 1a, 1972, cedar

Return to “Reference Library”